Chinese-Forums

Random new word of the day

roddy

瞬移: to teleport, teleportation.

Today two children asked me “你会瞬移吗?" because they felt I switched the place I was staying a moment ago quickly. Weirdly, I couldn't find this word on any dictionary, only the long form 瞬间移动, appeared in one of them.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2022 at 7:19 AM, Jan Finster said:

Can someone explain the word "叼盘" to me?

Is it a neologism?

The current version of CC-Cedict has it, but the Version from January 2021 (slumbering on my harddisk) has it not.

rùn    

literally "to run" ?

(neologism c. 2021) (slang) (loanword from "run") to emigrate (in order to flee adverse conditions)

moist; glossy; sleek; to moisten; to lubricate; to embellish; to enhance; profit; remuneration; 

Are there any more characters, whose pinyin means the word in English?

• Like 1
  • Good question! 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

裸奔

Running naked, streaking

(the act of running naked through a public area for publicity, as a prank, a dare, or a form of protest)

However, in Chinese it appears to also mean not hiding your identity (wearing masks, putting phone on airplane mode) during protests. 

• 2 weeks later...

chāo'ǒushī puppeteer. The funny thing is that I don't know how to write that chāo. X偶师, obviously, but Pleco doesn't give me any chāo that looks likely.

Picked up when interpreting for a Taiwanese hand puppet show company. They later talked about who in the company could actually chāo, which was not everyone: some people focused on sound, or directing, or etc. So-and-so can chāo, but this other person can't chāo.

Edit: Turns out it's a hypercorrection for cāo'ǒushī 操偶师!

• Like 1