Chinese-Forums

Random new word of the day

roddy

IOU

---over due random new words (com'n we should all accumulate a few everyday, right?)

ok so it has occured to me that the word 霸王appears quite often...here are a few I can remember..

霸王龙 ba4wang1long2: t-rex...roarrrrrr

霸王洗发水 (with 成龙, hmmm) (ok if you are in china and see the tv commercials you'll know what this is..)

霸王餐ba4wang1can1: to eat a meal at a restaurant and not pay for it

Any other random 霸王 words you know and want to add?

霸王别姬 :)

hee hee.. what an opera fan I am!

Would be interested to hear if anyone knows the origin of the usage.
针对和谐的另一说法。“和谐”的谐音,有点黑色幽默的味道:指响应党和ZF的号召,贯彻实施“和谐”社会,文明网络,对某些具体非具体的网络上内容进行修改或者删除。 由于很多和谐的做法导致了网民的不便或者间接侵害了网民的利益,人民以何与ZF争辩?恰好"he xie"在拼音里“和谐=河蟹”,因此,便出现了“河蟹”的“非主流解释”,这种解释,大约产生于2007年。

http://cache.baidu.com/c?word=%CA%B2%C3%B4%3B%BD%D0%2C%B1%BB%2C%BA%D3%D0%B7&url=http%3A//zhidao%2Ebaidu%2Ecom/question/36700908%2Ehtml&p=8a66dd0485cc42b404bd9b7e0e59&user=baidu

Thanks!

路霸: lu4ba2: a highway overloard (people who demand money or services with little or no justification , esp. of drivers using the section of highway or road under their control ~old article here ) as well as a car model called RoadBar

Oh, and apparently a chinchilla is called a 龙猫 ( at least according to the petshop where they have a pair of em') but in my dictionary it says something else..regional difference and different names I suppose, not uncommon...ahhhhhh sooo cute and fluffy

殷 is the surname of Ophelia and her family in the Chinese opera version of Hamlet. That was the first time I came across it. Now there's random for you.

I had a really good random word but am not sure if I can get it right...

稻草梱 dao4cao3kun3 bale of hay. Specifically the really big (2-3 meters) rolls that you can see lying on fields in autumn. From a picture, it took four people to come up with first the Chinese and then the English, and although I've seen these things a thousand times I still can't think of the Dutch.

面紅耳赤 mian4 hong2 er3 chi4 red in the face, as in 爭得面紅耳赤 arguing until they are red in the face. From an article about, who else, disagreeing Taiwanese politicians.