Chinese-Forums

Random new word of the day

roddy

成也萧何,败也萧何 chéng yě Xiāo Hé, bài yě Xiāo Hé '[Liu Bang] won thanks to Xiao He, and he loses also because of Xiao He', meaning 'succes and failure are both caused by the same factor'.

Found this in the book I'm translating, where one of the characters has been 提拔'd by the mayor, but has messed up and now fears that the mayor will be just as quick to fire him. I'm going with 'the mayor giveth and the mayor taketh away' (in Dutch, which doesn't use the ancient spelling for the expression).

小確幸 small but definite happiness

Came upon this word from a Taiwanese author. Looked it up and it came from essays of the Japanese author Haruki Murakami, from the phrase "小さいけれども、確かな幸福"(小而確實的幸福感).

An example given was drinking a cold beer after patiently doing some intense exercise.

ㄟ~「小確幸」的來源是日語?!

http://k22k5566.pixnet.net/blog/post/147847172

【日文學習筆記】小確幸(しょうかっこう)

http://www.appledaily.com.tw/realtimenews/article/new/20140409/375948/

Apparently this word had been all the rage in Taiwan, being used in all sorts of advertisements, to the point of people getting sick and critical of it. At least that's the impression I got from googling the word.

• 2 weeks later...

That reminds me that I came cross 咬豬肉 the other day as a nickname for a famous brand of chocolate.

It made me scratch my head since its pronunciation in Cantonese or Mandarin is nothing like the English name.

I couldn't believe it despite finding multiple mentions of it, and finally have to look it up in a 閩南語 (Hokkien?) dictionary.

Still makes me wonder why the pronunciation is so different in Hokkien.

虚脱 xūtuō exhausted, completely spent. Learned from a friend who was describing how a woman feels after giving birth. Now that I look it up, the dictionary says it means 'to collapse'.

• Like 1

卍 wan4

There is also a character for the reversed swastika, 卐 with the same pronunciation. The characters are interesting, not least because scholars believe they are 則天文字, i.e. two of the Chinese characters of Empress Wu. Not many of them are still in use today, except maybe for 〇.

• Like 1

半路杀出个程咬金 bàn lù shāchū ge Chéng Yǎojīn

You have a plan and your plan is coming along well, when suddenly an unexpected setback happens, or someone appears who starts to mess things up.

Wikipedia explains that Cheng Yaojin was 'the Tang dynasty's lucky general, portrayed as somewhat inept and bumbling he would nevertheless always arrive in the right place at the right time to save the day.' Learned this phrase from my language partner who was talking about setbacks in her work.