Chinese-Forums

Random new word of the day

roddy

@skylee, I was thinking that 塘 tang2 in 池塘 chi2tang2 (pond) is what they were referring to with the sugar water 糖 tang2 sounding similar, and that photos of the scenic landscapes of nature (specifically bodies of water) are one of the essential photos of photographers...  At least thats how I understood it.

• 1 month later...

零和 zero sum

Context:

李[银河]说,在所有的活动中,包括政治、军事、经济,都是一种零和的关系,就是你死我活,你败我胜。只有性活动是双赢的关系,是双方都快乐。可是人们偏偏在这个双赢的事情上特别的纠结,特别的焦虑,有很多很多反性禁欲的东西。

This is also the first time I learned that 和 can mean "sum".

Example (from 现代汉语规范词典): 2加2的和是4。

• 2 months later...

小猫三只四只 xiǎomāo sān zhǐ sì zhǐ

Does not refer to 3-4 cats, but rather to 'barely a soul'. In Dutch we say 'drie man en een paardenkop' ('three men and a horse head'), and I find the Chinese expression quite amusing. Especially as my first google search of it turned up mostly kittens.

• 2 weeks later...

汉话

Context: taxi driver - "你们外国人,说汉话的不多"

I've lived here for four years now and this is the first time I've heard this word for the language I'm being complimented on my supposed proficiency in... 崩溃了 -_-

• 2 months later...

大肠菌, usually 大腸桿菌 dàchǎng gǎnjùn E. coli bacteria.

Translating a Sanmao story with an elaborate wealth of new words and chengyu. This is one of the easiest of the new words.

@Duck, that looks like a very useful word and I've never seen it before (or never noticed it). Is this the more medical term, or how is it different from the regular 怀孕?

迷思 mísī

transliteration of the English word "Myth".

When I first encountered this word I thought it was short for something like 迷走的思想 "wandering thoughts / confusion", and indeed it is wrongly used a lot in online forums, for example somebody might write a topic called 買電視的迷思, but meaning "Random thoughts about buying TVs" instead of "Myths about buying TVs".

http://www.mobile01.com/topicdetail.php?f=37&t=82879

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...