Chinese-Forums

What is the Japanese Kanji meaning 漢字の意味of [ 丕 ], has anyone seen it before?

Xi'Er Dun

What is the Japanese Kanji meaning [漢字の意味] of [丕], has anyone seen it before?

One source has it listed as Kun 訓讀み: [おお・きい ō.kii(oo.kii)] -- which means "big", ON 音讀み: [ヒ hi] -- (Old Jap. "pi", Middle Jap. "fi", from Middle Chinese most likely:p'i, pi ], now p'i1/pī in Modern Mandarin -- with the same meaning as "big, great" in Mandarin.

Anyway, what I amazed my was when I looked this Kanji 漢字 up in a Japanese Kanji Jiten 漢字辭典, was that the meaning of [丕] was [emphatic un-Kanji]...Now what is this supposed to mean??

This Kanji was listed under "Advanced Grade Kanji"--which I am pretty sure means that this Kanji is not within the Jōyō 常用 List or in Jimmeiyō 人名用 List either, and is not taught in Japanese Schools as it is not on the list of Kyōiku Kanji 敎育 to be taught, except for at University level maybe.

If anyone on this forum is an Advanced Kanji Expert or has studied Japanese Kanji at University level--ie. Japanese or Chinese Classics, can they please explain this Kanji [丕], and when (also at which period did it fall out of usage) and which context it was used in (was it found in Chinese or Japanese Classics)?

如何も有り難う御座い升

謝謝您

希爾頓從

What you've come across there is an instance where a Kanji is not properly rendered in today's literature. This particular character isn't used much at all in Japanese but when the Japanese imported it they gave it their own meaning A meaning similar to 丕 without the bar underneath (i.e. bu4). However, the original chinese meaning is "great, large" and thus when it is given a kun-yomi, this chinese meaning was used to translate it. Ookii in Japanese means "big, great" and doesn't relate to "un-"

Hope that helped

What is the Japanese Kanji meaning [漢字の意味] of [丕], has anyone seen it before?

丕 in Chinese means “great, grand, glorious,etc ”.

丕 [pī]

巨大な,偉大な:[丕绩]偉業(伟业)

http://www.cndict.com/search.dll?cj=%E4%B8%95

If anyone on this forum is an Advanced Kanji Expert or has studied Japanese Kanji at University level--ie. Japanese or Chinese Classics, can they please explain this Kanji [丕], and when (also at which period did it fall out of usage) and which context it was used in (was it found in Chinese or Japanese Classics)?
◎ 丕 pī

〈形〉

(1) (形声。从一,不声。本义:大) 同本义[big;great]

丕,大也。——《说文》

未丕扬先帝之盛功。——《汉书•匡衡传》

太医令吉丕。——《后汉书•耿秉传》

昧旦丕显。——《左传•昭公三年》

弼我丕丕基。——《书•大诰》

(2) 又如:丕变(大变);丕训(伟大而可为法则的言论);丕烈(伟大的功业);丕业(伟大的事业);丕绩(伟大的功绩);丕显(伟大而显明);丕丕基(极伟大的帝王家业。指帝王之位)

词性变化

◎ 丕 pī

〈动〉

尊奉 [follow]。如:丕崇(崇奉);丕然(敬奉的样子);丕承(很好地继承);丕应(很好地应和)

◎ 丕 pī

〈连〉

乃,于是 [then]。如:丕乃(于是);丕则(于是)

http://www.zdic.net/zd/zi/ZdicE4ZdicB8Zdic95.htm

Thanks!