Chinese-Forums

Zhejiang University

lilongyue

Do you have any idea if Zhejiang University also offers Chinese culture & economy programmes in english? because I want to study not just the language, but also the culture and economy of China. Hope you can help me!

As far as culture goes, there are Taiqi and calligraphy lessons available for level 1-3 students. After level 4 there is a classical Chinese class one can take. These are all free classes, and their scheduling may conflict with your normal classes, so whether or not you participate in them is up to you and your schedule.

I don't know of any economics/business classes offered in English right now at Zheda. There might be some in the future, but probably as a Chinese business language course. In the regular language courses at Zheda there aren't any economics or business terminology included in the lessons. I think one of the other universities in Hangzhou that teaches Chinese (there are 3 altogether) might have a Chinese business language class.

Officially there's very little in the way of organized activities. After the midterm there is usually a trip to some place (this year it was Qiandaohu), but rarely anything else besides that. Whatever sort of other group activities there may be are organized by students themselves.

• 10 months later...

hi

i accidentally found this forum on the website, but i hope someone will help me

i was looking for a summer course of chinese in zheda but i didn't found any information on the website. i'm pretty sure the university organizes some lessons for students who wonna learn chinese during the holydays and maybe also courses about economics

please reply if u have any details about it

thank you

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone : )

I'm going to spend some of my university studies in China, and i'm probably going to choose either Tsinghua university or Zhejiang university. The fact that Zhejiang seems to be less polluted than Beijing is a huge bonus for me. But i would like it if people around me preferred mandarin over any other dialect. Do people speak the local dialect with eachother in Zhejiang?

Thanks

• 4 months later...

Hello,

I am going to Zheda for full year program in Fall 2009 (chinese language program).

I have tried to get informations at phone from the office but have only obtained wishy washies answers (I will try to phone once again in a few days in september, maybe there will be more persons who could answer me).

I hope somebody could give me some advices/answers to my questions :

1) On the school's website :" During the designated period of registration (usually the first 3 days of the new semester), the International College offers pick-up service to new students at Xiaoshan International Airport. " (http://iczu.zju.edu.cn/Eg_index_show.php?cate=4&xcate=26http://iczu.zju.edu.cn/Eg_index_show.php?cate=4&xcate=26)

This year, registration will take place on Sept 7- Sept 8.

I will arrive at Hanzhou airport on sept 7 but around 6PM....the man on the phone told me that "maybe" it will be too late for the pick up service, that is to say I will have to go to the school by proper means. Is there others international students in the same situation ?

I think many other international students will arrive on sept 7 or sept 8 so maybe the school will arrange pick up service according to numbers of students arrivals.

That is bothering me as I booked on purpose my ticket plane on this date as I thought there will be the pick up service.

2) The office of international college is open on the afternoon from 1:00 to 5:00PM.

As I will arrive at 6PM at the Hangzhou airport, coming to school maybe about 8:00PM(?), the office will be closed and I won't be able to register,isn't it ? That is to say I can't plan on staying at night in the campus room?

So,I will have to sleep on a hotel next to zheda, won't I ?

Do you guys know some hotels in the neighborhood ?

3) "The tuition and fees are requested to be paid off before entering study program by self supporting students, otherwise class attendance would be refused."

As it appears fees can't be paid in cash, in the first days of my arriving in China, I am planning to open a bank account in the Bank of China. That is to say it will take few days for me to be ok with tuition and fees, will it still be okay for me to attend class ?

I am a little anxious about the 1st day of my arrival...and disappointed that nobody at the school office can answer me properly either at the phone or by email...

Thank you in advance for anybody who will reply to me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lilongyue,

I am planning to go for 1 year academic from spring,2010 in Zhejiang univ. Just wanted to ask whether we can cook our own food in off-campus apartment. And whether I could find any room mate for me if I want to rent any share apartment with set-up kitchen.

Ash.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, I was planning to study mandaring in Zhejiang University next semester, Spring 2010.I would like to have info about how to pay tuition and accomodation fees once arrived in Hangzhou!!!is it not possible to pay with cash or credit card??that's a big problem.....please let me know!!!!

if there is someone who is currently studying at zheda please give me an advice.

How is campus and students life?

Xinyue87, you will love Hangzhou. At least me and all the other students I met loved it there. I stayed there for a year, and it was great!!!!!

About paying your tuition and stuff. You can pay it in cash, I don't know if you can pay it using a creditcard. I don't think so.. Same goes for the dorms.

Have fun in Hangzhou, I'm sure you will have the time of your life there!!!

Thank you so much!

Were you at Zheda?If you were there can you tell me, something about the teaching and all the school's stuff?

Did you stay in the dorm or rent an apartment?

I hope to enjoy life there, last summer I went to BLCU but there were so many foreigners...

Now I want to see shanghai and the south!!:D

" Thank you so much!

Were you at Zheda?If you were there can you tell me, something about the teaching and all the school's stuff?

Did you stay in the dorm or rent an apartment?

I hope to enjoy life there, last summer I went to BLCU but there were so many foreigners...

Now I want to see shanghai and the south!! "

Yeah, I was studying at Zheda for about a year.

I just loved the school, the location is beautiful as well. About the teaching, it really differs. Depending on the teacher you have, it 'll be the same as every university in China I quess.

I stayed in the dorms the first few months, dorms are good, nothing special, but its definitely cosy. After that I started to rent an apartment, which ofcourse was a hell of an improvement.

Don't worry about the foreigners, there are not that many foreigners in Hangzhou. So you'll be stared at on the streets :D

I can guarantee you will have a great time there. In the weekends you can go and enjoy the nightlife in Shanghai, which is ofcourse amazing.

I've travelled a lot in China, and Hangzhou is by far on of the nicest cities I've seen.

Have fun, study hard, party harder ;)

• 1 month later...

So I would like to apply to go Zheda in the spring, and part of the requirement is paying the application fee. The website isn't exactly clear on how I can go about doing this, so I wanted to know how any of you that are already there did so. Should I send Cash, or is there another method (Wire transfer, travel Check) they they use?I asked a similar question on another thread, but because the deadline is coming up soon I want to try and get a good answer. Thanks!

This thread brings back many memories, first thread I read on chinese-forums and for information about Zheda too! I sent cash and didn't have any problems, but its considered unsafe, if you do it this way wrap the cash in something so you can't see it through the envelop. They recommend doing a wire transfer, but this is also unsafe. I was going to transfer the application fee till the guy in charge says, once it leaves the US sometimes the money just "disappears" and theres nothing we can do. Feel free to ask any other questions, more than happy to help. I hope you enjoy Hangzhou as much as I did

• 3 months later...

Hi, I am a student reporter of National Cheng Chi University, Taiwan.

I hope to have more information to work out a report of the Chinese Studies program in Zheda for a campus newspaper (named as The University News, http://www.uonline.nccu.edu.tw/).

Is anyone here taking the program?

I really need to interview someone who take this program .

Thanks.

Rebecca Liu

Student reporter of National Cheng Chi University,

Taipei, Taiwan.

juhsuanliu@gmail.com

• 1 month later...

hello,

I'm a Belgian guy who's planning to follow chinese courses at zhejiang university in the autumn of 2010. Is there anyone here who is currently following chinese courses at zhejing university in hangzhou? I would like to find out a bit more about the housing conditions and some practical stuff.

I'm currently in Hangzhou till the 12th of May, would be great if I could meet face to face with zhejiang university student here. :)

Thanks,

Jonas

• 3 months later...

Hi!

I will be there too. :wink:

I don't know much either. Some weeks ago I received the "Schedule for Freshmen (non degree Chinese language program)" per email, but it is about the registration dates, on first week to do things etc. and I guess you already found this on the ZheDa website.

About the 浙江大学2010—2011学年校历, I only found the degree student's calendar here

But i guess the festivals/holidays are for language students the same, so it may be helpful :)

Do you know something about our "accomodation"? Is it possible to get a room before the crowd arrives on the 30th August? I don't want to call them, my chinese is too bad, for a phone call :blink: