Chinese-Forums

Zhejiang University

lilongyue

Usually the winter holiday lasts 1 month, so we can say it will end around the 20th February (since the Chinese new year will be on the 3rd, this seems realistic).

Are you a scholarship student or self-financing?

Unfortunately, I will be one of "the crowd" you are talking about. On top of that I have zero Chinese ability, so I won't be much help...

Sorry, i had no intension to offend you or anybody with the term "the crowd"...

Zero Chinese is no problem. My Chinese is just above zero, I can ask for a direction, but i don't understand the response. So practically, we are on the same level :D

• New Members

Hi,

Sorry to bring this up again, but I'm coming to ZheDa in Autumn 2010 also, and I was wondering how much it costs to stay in the International Dorm per semester? I think someone told me it was as low as 2500yuan per term, but somehow that seems a little low. Guys, any ideas? Is anyone thinking about living off-campus?

Cheers,

LDN

Can you tell me about the weather? How's the city? the people, etc.

Find any good food?

I've only been in Hangzhou for 2 weeks, but as far as I could tell the people are friendly and helpful. The West-Lake area of the city (near the campus) is really beautiful, great scenery, nature. They've printed the West-lake on their one yuan bill for a reason :).

About the weather,

I've heard that Hangzhou's climate is really hot and humid in the summer and cold in the winter (and that they don't have heating except for the airco's). Spring and autumn are supposed to be mild, best seasons for visiting.

The food is great if you don't mind that there are still bones in your meat.

hye, glad to find this forum.

i've been to zheda for their summer language course, and will continue with the long term language program starting sept.

my problem is, i don't know the exact date for the autumn program. Anybody know?

i'd tried to call the admins, and they just asked me to come before 1 september.

Anyway, i love zheda!! good place, good food!!

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I'm planning to study at 浙大 next year (2011) in Feb/March (depending on if I get the CSC scholarship) as I'm from the southern hemisphere. Does anyone know when exactly classes start for this period?

I also wanted to enquire about the international student dorms. I understand I'll be sharing with someone else, which is fine with me. According to the International College accommodation web page (http://iczu.zju.edu.cn/Eg_index_show.php?cate=4&xcate=23), there is an electricity limit every month. How does that work? Is it easily possible to go over the limit?

Also are there aircons in the dorms? I'm assuming there aren't any heaters.

Just generally speaking, is 浙大 a good choice? I'm not wanting to study in a huge city, and I've been to 杭州 before and liked it a lot, but am not sure about 浙大 at all. I studied in 昆明 for a month at 云师大, and loved it. Would 昆明 be a better choice? Or would somewhere totally different be even better?

And how are things done in respect to scholarship students? Are there many additional "overheads" that I should expect to be forking out for that the scholarship is supposed to cover?

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys might have.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm planning to study at 浙大 next year (2011) in Feb/March (depending on if I get the CSC scholarship) as I'm from the southern hemisphere. Does anyone know when exactly classes start for this period?

I don't know the exact date, I'm guessing they will put the schedule online as soon as the winter holiday starts (21st of january). I think the spring semester will start at the start of March.

I also wanted to enquire about the international student dorms. I understand I'll be sharing with someone else, which is fine with me. According to the International College accommodation web page (http://iczu.zju.edu....cate=4&xcate=23), there is an electricity limit every month. How does that work? Is it easily possible to go over the limit?

In the international building there are single rooms too, they're rather small though. imo, best choice are the two person rooms in dorm 31.

About the electricity quota, I've been at zheda almost 2 months now, and I haven't gone over the electricity limit yet, so I guess it's quite okay.

Also are there aircons in the dorms? I'm assuming there aren't any heaters.

yes, there are airco's in every room. No heaters though, but you can make the airco's blow hot air if you want.

Just generally speaking, is 浙大 a good choice? I'm not wanting to study in a huge city, and I've been to 杭州 before and liked it a lot, but am not sure about 浙大 at all. I studied in 昆明 for a month at 云师大, and loved it. Would 昆明 be a better choice? Or would somewhere totally different be even better?

Hangzhou is a nice place to live. Very very clean city, good atmosphere :).

Zheda has a big community of foreign students, you don't get bored here easily. If you want to study hardcore chinese it's maybe not the best university...

also, the textbooks are a bit outdated, and some of the teachers are not so good (but that's just a matter of luck I guess).

And how are things done in respect to scholarship students? Are there many additional "overheads" that I should expect to be forking out for that the scholarship is supposed to cover?

no clue about that, sorry.

1) Did someone on this forum say that classes are only 3 hours a day???

Yes, the language program has 10 classes a week, each class one hour and a half.

On top of that you also have 2 elective courses, like caligraphy or chinese painting. Most elective courses are only once a week.

Can we audit university courses?

Not sure what you meant by "audit" but I think you certainly can. There is accreditation for programms for different professions, which I think is one type of audit, and there are other forms of audits.

Not sure what you meant by "audit" but I think you certainly can.

It means to attend the class just because you are interested in the topic, without taking exams or receiving academic credit.

It (audit) means to attend the class just because you are interested in the topic, without taking exams or receiving academic credit.

@skylee -- 请问,用汉语怎么说?How do I say "audit" (a class) in Chinese. Thanks.

@skylee -- 请问,用汉语怎么说?How do I say "audit" (a class) in Chinese.

旁聽. See verb2 in this link.

Is this sense of "audit" very commonly used? I had not heard of it. Because of the nature of my work when someone asked "Can we audit university courses?" I took it to mean scrutinising activities in universities. For attending classes without credits, I use "sit in" (verb1 in this link).