Chinese-Forums

Zhejiang University

lilongyue

• 1 month later...
On 9/14/2018 at 10:37 AM, mackie1402 said:

Has anyone studied the Chinese Language 4-year degree at Zhejiang Uni? I'm wondering what the schedule is like, how many classes per day and a typical weekly timetable. Thanks!

I have a friend in the program now. I believe for the first two years, the schedule is similar to the language program: two classes per day, five days a week, each class is an hour and a half. There are writing, reading, spoken and listening classes (I think reading is daily, the others are less often). This year, he has some courses in the afternoon.

If I'm not mistaken, your third and fourth year are devoted to normal BA courses. These aren't going to be as predictable as your first two years since you have some room to pick your own courses and schedule.

On 8/27/2018 at 6:09 PM, yin said:

I am going to ZJU for my Masters. My major is chinese history, so who was told that I would live in Xixi campus, but another guy said, Humanites major also move to zijinggang campus from this year. I don't know what is true. please tell me about this problem.  

Are you doing your MA this year or doing a year of language prep first? I'm in the Chinese history department as well!

• 1 month later...
  • New Members

Next year I am going to Hangzhou, Zhejiang University for one semester, so I am worrying a little bit. Do you have any advice for me? What I have to bring there? How’s dormitory? Best places to eat? Must-seen places? Anything is useful. Thank you. 

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all,

I am planning to go to ZheDa for CIS scholarship of one year academic study in 2019. Anyone has the same experience? Because from what I read in the previous pages, mostly you apply for CSC scholarship, is it? Anyone applied for CIS before? Care to share your experience? Thank you :)

On 11/27/2018 at 1:46 AM, Liubov said:

Next year I am going to Hangzhou, Zhejiang University for one semester, so I am worrying a little bit. Do you have any advice for me? What I have to bring there? How’s dormitory? Best places to eat? Must-seen places? Anything is useful. Thank you. 

Check the thread; many of your questions have already been answered. 

On 12/26/2018 at 10:18 AM, ana_hwang said:

I am planning to go to ZheDa for CIS scholarship of one year academic study in 2019. Anyone has the same experience? Because from what I read in the previous pages, mostly you apply for CSC scholarship, is it? Anyone applied for CIS before? Care to share your experience? Thank you :)

I have the CSC but I've met a lot of people on CIS here. I haven't heard any complaints; they seem to be pretty similar, but I think CIS might have a slightly smaller stipend.

• 1 year later...

I am really glad i found this website i have a couple of questions to ask. You were talking about a Chinese learning program and i was wondering if that meant they teach you the language? My next question is a follow up on my last. If they do teach you the language, how do you take classes? Are their classes that teach you in English or you simply get taught the language and then take classes when your done with that course. my last question is if you had already started studying the language for a while before entering the school. Thank you.

2 hours ago, samm said:

I am really glad i found this website i have a couple of questions to ask. You were talking about a Chinese learning program and i was wondering if that meant they teach you the language? My next question is a follow up on my last. If they do teach you the language, how do you take classes? Are their classes that teach you in English or you simply get taught the language and then take classes when your done with that course. my last question is if you had already started studying the language for a while before entering the school. Thank you.

The Chinese Language programme has a full range of levels. At beginner level they will use english to teach you mandarin, but as you progress they will use less and less. It sounds scary to begin with, but the sooner you start learning in only your target language the better. So they try to switch to only mandarin fairly quickly.

Yes you can enter at any level appropriate to you. For example if you were already at advanced level, you would not need to enter into beginner class. At the start of a semester you will take a placement exam that determines which class is best for you.

• 3 years later...

I'm in Zhejiang University right now to study Chinese for a semester (non-degree), and I might post once in a while to share how things are over here. I arrived two days ago.

As of the first semester of 2024:
-Communication through e-mail with the staff wasn't the easiest.
-Classes and dormitory are in Yuquan Campus, Hangzhou. Location is great.
-The tuition costs 9000 yuan per semester.
-The single-bed rooms in the international dormitory cost 80 yuan per day for long-term students (those staying for more than 3 months). The room isn't fancy but it's perfectly ok, there's a private bathroom. My sink leaks really bad and we all had to tape our windows because cold air would come in from the outside.
-Lunch/Dinner in the canteens (that I've been to so far) goes for less than 15 yuan.
-Going from the Xiaoshan International Airport to the Yuquan Campus by taxi costs around 170 yuan.
-We were provided with physical Chinese SIM cards on registration day. China Unicom, one single payment of 200 yuan for a 6-month plan (200gb and 500 minutes a month), connection is good.
-There's around 20 different 班, of around 20 students each, divided into levels from 1 to 7.
-We need to buy the books by ourselves. I'm in level 6 and the books we will use are:

123.thumb.png.faa69fd76c0ca6e233b9460933e372e5.png    2012118172024920.thumb.jpg.4385eb896e808dad3ff85939f035e4af.jpg    8923399.thumb.jpg.a15ba65d24e70843f5ab9b3ce728f25b.jpg    download.jpg.ec7f90bb5155398b812b38c6a90bb524.jpg

-Classes start one week after registration day. (On march 4th this time)

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1