Chinese-Forums

Zhejiang University

lilongyue

@wpskinner  It all depends on the campus. Did Li Tang confirm that you will live on Yuquan Campus, dorm 31? 

In that case, I'd suggest that you pay the 900 yuan for a single room in that dorm. The rooms in dorm 31 are much more spacious than those of the International College even though the International College is more expensive.

If you are supposed to live on Xixi Campus, then it is much better to pay the 1500 for the International College (or rent an apartment if you ask me).

Even if you pay 900/month for a single room on Xixi Campus you will still get to enjoy the lovely, super clean shared bathrooms this dorm has to offer  :nono

I'm not sure how you can make a reservation for the International College dorm. Please ask the university. 

The newly-constructed dorm is on Zijingang Campus. Don't know exactly what majors except China Studies are supposed to live there.

There is something called The Old Dorm on Yuquan though. 

Thanks Angelina. I will probably arrive on the 13th or 14th of September. 

You probably don't want me asking you a tonne of questions, but on the off-chance that you don't mind, is there a chance that I could add you on facebook or maybe weixin?

Ink

The admins of this forum would prefer if you asked here so that other people would be informed as well.

You can add me anyway, I will stay in Hangzhou next year.

Hi Angelina,

Thanks for adding me on FB and wechat. I'll post all my questions here for everyone to see. 

Do you know what kind of accommodation I will get if I am a scholarship student for Chinese language?

Do you have any general advice about anything (the course, living in hangzhou, zhejiang university etc...)?

How is our scholarship money given to us, do we receive a bank account, a credit card?

Is there a good gym at Zhejiang university, and how much does it cost?

Is there some place at Zhejiang or in Hangzhou that I can meet other Europeans easily?

Thanks

Ink

I might edit this post later to add more info.

If you are a language student, you will live on Yuquan campus. I think others have described the living conditions there already, check older posts.

General advice. Hm. It's hard to get a cab in Hangzhou. Learn how to use public transport (buses mostly) or get a bike/electric bike. There is an app that is supposed to help you order a cab, but I prefer to use Google Maps and use the public transport suggestions it gives you. Never disappointed me.

We got debit cards. The university arranged everything, but we had to go to the bank to pick it up on our own. I don't remember exactly, we also had to 'activate' the card. I think first we went to get the card and then had to go to the bank again to 'activate' it.

I don't know much about gyms.

Don't limit yourself to Europeans.

• Like 2

• New Members

Hi everyone! I will be heading out to Hangzhou early September to study at ZheDa (CSC scholarship). I'm still getting used to the idea of starting from the scratch in such a faraway land, though I'm willing to take the risk as I know there's lots to see & live in HZ. I'm particularly concerned about the language barrier (native Spanish speaker here), the fact of going to a place where I know no one (yet), the living-on-campus experience (I've decided to give it a go at least the first month(s) just to see what it is like - and if it's not like I was expecting, I might consider getting a living off-campus option. Cold temperatures in winter are also topping the list of concerns (it feels like summer all year round in my country).. guess a couple of warm clothes will do.

I would highly appreciate any suggestions you have prior to my arrival in September: things I should be prepared for, what I should bring, what I should leave home (in hopes of getting my luggage to be lighter than 23 kgs).

Thank you very much for your time. I'm really looking forward to the adventure and meeting you. 

Best regards, 

Luis (Venezuela)

Hi Luis.

I'd also be interested in hearing what kind of things we should and should not bring. I think I'm only allowed 21 kg for my suitcase plus another 10 kg in handheld luggage.

I come from northern Europe, so I'm more concerned about the heat, not the cold! :P 

Do you have facebook or weixin? Maybe I can add you.

Ink

• New Members

Hey Ink,

It looks like all the foreigners who were awarded the scholarship through the CSC are going to be living in Dorm. 10. I've tried my best to get videos/pictures/information about this place on the net but there isn't any. I haven't found anything about the Regulations for International students at ZheDa either. I don't have weixin (yet). You can add me on Facebook (Luis Suescun) and @sueskum on Twitter.

Best regards,

Luis. 

Hi Luis, no te preocupes, there are many Spanish-speaking people in Hangzhou (including me). 

It depends on what kind of things you need and where you come from. I personally think that you can find a lot of things in China, but good quality will probably be extremely overpriced. 

My advice would be: shampoos, perfumes, toothpastes (the prices of brands like Sensodyne and Lacalut are ridiculous in China), everything you need for your face, sunscreen, toiletries in general; socks, underwear, vitamins, dietary supplements, shoes (again, good shoes are overpriced), even electronics if you are using Apple products. 

Basically, bring things of good quality and things you can only find in your country (e.g. spices only used in your cuisine).

The climate in Hangzhou: no central heating in winter (there will be an AC in your dorm room and you can buy an electric heater, but every time you go out - good luck); humid spring and summer. Good news: Xihu Distict is very green, the area around Lingyin Temple is perfect for people who love nature.

Bienvenido!

• Like 1

• New Members

Hello guys!

I'am from Mexico City, I've already sent my documents to study Chinese language in Zhejiang University (September 2014), Ms. Sun Lin gave me the "OK" to my docs, but I haven't received nothing (admission documents, visa) to my address here in Mexico.

I have already sent a lot of emails asking them whats going on, why so long, but they haven't answer me nothing.

What can I do guys? Maybe some advice can help me! :)

@Angelina,

unfortunately I will have to pay for my accomodation by myself since it turned out that I got only partial scholarship (great news just few weeks before my departure).. so I will arrive to Hangzhou around 1/09 and I was thinking about staying in hostel (which btw. is cheaper than dormitory..) then move to the dorm. 

If anyone is going to be in Hangzhou since the beginning of Sep, feel free to write me a message (kasiek119@gmail.com), I would love to meet someone who also is going to study at Zheda :) 

• New Members

Hi Daniel, 

Did you contact the Embassy of China in Mexico? Your documents may have been sent to the Embassy and you have to pick them up there. Send them an e-mail to explain your situation, I assume this kind of processes normally take a while, although not that long considering it's almost one month left for the formal registration at Zheda. Good luck! 

• Like 1

• New Members

Hey @siul87 thank you for the advice! A friend of mine also from Mexico has already received his admission documents on his address like two weeks ago, but tomorrow I will contact the Chinese Embassy maybe they can help me by explaining my situation, cause still no answers from Zhejiang University

Hello everybody,

I'm going to study at zhejiang university from september to janurary. I applied for a room so I guess I'll stay somewhere on the campus... :)

I'd like to know if there's wireless internet acces in the dormitory? I found some old posts that say there's not, but also found an information sheet that said theres wireless internet in every area on campus... (don't know if thats including the dorm rooms...)

I'd love to know, 'cause I have to decide if I bring my laptop or just my ipad, which I would prefer... because my laptop is pretty big and heavy...;)