Chinese-Forums

Zhejiang University

lilongyue

• New Members

Hi  I got the One-year Chinese Language Program CI scholarhship and  I'm starting to study next month at ZJU. I was wondering if CI scholarship students can get a single-room on-campus, and if not- how much approx does it cost to rent a room near by the campus?

In addition, is there any Whatsapp/facebook/Wechat group for the international students?

Thanks 

Heff, can you add your ID here so people can contact you without asking. That'll cut down on the admin messages. 

I'm dubious about running external groups from here. What's happened in the past is that it reduces activity here, then you look at the group a year later and it's dead. Like I said earlier, please do try and keep useful info here, in public. 

400元 residence permit (you pay when you pick up your passport after your residence permit is ready) 

422元 medical 

+ extra for photos and other minor expenses 

• Like 1

• New Members

about residence permit; the information I find says that one need to study for more than six months to be able to get a residence permit. I'm thinking about studying one term. Does that mean that I will no tbe able to retrieve a residence permit?

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

• New Members

Heyy everyone

I'm veeery new to this forum and obviously this topic as well, still cannot believe I found it only now :D 

I have also been accepted to 浙江大学 so I was wondering whether someone could add me to a Wechat group as well? my ID is simply siviee 

Although if it's a group only for students of Zheda I don't know which campus I am assigned to yet... My admission letter said International College Yuquan campus and thats basically it, so I'm guessing I will be placed somewhere there....? Reading all of your messages now and I have to say it's a little sad to hear that on campus you are not likely to meet any Chinese students... I am Chinese language and culture program student and it's very disappointing to hear that I will be practicing my Chinese mostly in classes.

There is one Chinese student here. Look around the grammar forums and you will find him. 

It is not impossible to meet Chinese students, but they are busy with their studies. 

I did my language course at BLCU, where the chances of meeting a Chinese student are the lowest, and still managed to talk to some. 

Don't be disappointed, it is possible. @siviee

Would agree with @Angelina. It's hard to meet Chinese students in the language program, but completely doable if you're proactive. Go to Chinese corner (Xixi campus) or English corner (there are several, but last semester Yuquan had one). A friend of mine had good luck simply meeting people in cafes around campus by studying alone. Another went to a Latin dance class and met people. 

On 8/18/2017 at 9:31 PM, katyasm said:

Hi  I got the One-year Chinese Language Program CI scholarhship and  I'm starting to study next month at ZJU. I was wondering if CI scholarship students can get a single-room on-campus, and if not- how much approx does it cost to rent a room near by the campus?

@katyasm I'm not sure about single rooms on campus at ZJG campus, but scholarship students at Yuquan did not have single rooms. It depends on your scholarship and luck which dorm you're placed in, but I think everybody had roommates except a few students who got lucky and got put in triplets with a single room.

If you're in the language program, I imagine you're by Yuquan. As to an off campus single room, it depends a lot on your standards. My girlfriend and I rented a 1.5 bedroom (1 bedroom was a closet converted into a 2nd bedroom) with a kitchen in a very old house right next to campus for 3,200 yuan/month. I really wanted my own kitchen, and the apartment was pretty crappy. I had two friends who lived nearby in a much nicer apartment for 4,200/month. If you're willing to skip the kitchen and be slightly farther away, you can easily get that down to 2,500 a month in an old building like mine. If you're willing to split an apartment with others and have your own room, you can find apartments for as low as 1,500-2,000 a month depending on how old the apartment is and how far away you are. Generally, the farther from campus the cheaper the apartment will be; I had classmates living 30 + minutes away because of the pricing difference. Apartments near ZJG are quite cheap. When dealing with agents, realize that negotiating and bargaining is expected. If they tell you the price is 4,000, you can ask for a lower price. Also, 90% of the listings online are fake - make sure you see it first. 

believe you can also ask about paying for a room in the single occupancy dorm. However, I heard they were so overbooked last year in September that some students were placed in hotels off campus until students left (a lot of students end up going home early). I'm not sure about the price, but I think it's around 1,500-1,700 for a small bedroom with a small attached bathroom. I'm not sure whether or not there are kitchen facilities in that dorm. A lot of people move off campus after a month or two when they meet classmates.

• Like 3

Thanks for the detailed post Alex. I am in HZ now and have been looking at flats with and without agents, and everything you say about matches my experience so far. I have seen lots of 2-3 room flats very near campus in the 4500-5500 range (starting price). I was hoping to find a serviceable single bedroom for under 3K but that seems to be a mythical beast. I did see a 1.5 bedroom near Qingzhiwu that sounds a lot like what you describe :D

I think I will probably end up taking a room I have been offered off Tianmushan with some students who have already been here as it seems less headache than finding a flat and flatmates simultaneously, but if you have any further apartment hunt stories, tips or tricks, do share!

I am pretty impressed(?) that the places I've seen run more than huge 3/4 bedroom flats in a condo with a pool and gym etc. in Kuala Lumpur where I have been living until now. I thought this would be the cheaper of the two places!

• Like 1