Chinese-Forums

Zhejiang University

lilongyue

• 2 weeks later...
  • New Members

Hey! I'm thinking of going to Zhejiang University this fall. I've read from recent posts that it's quite hard to get a single room with private bathroom in the International Dormitory in Yuquan Campus. I'm a 自费 student, what are your advices on how to surely get a 单人间 aside from going there days before registration?  

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/29/2018 at 10:29 AM, dresvk said:

Hey! I'm thinking of going to Zhejiang University this fall. I've read from recent posts that it's quite hard to get a single room with private bathroom in the International Dormitory in Yuquan Campus. I'm a 自费 student, what are your advices on how to surely get a 单人间 aside from going there days before registration?  

From what I understand, there is no way to "surely" get a single room. I've heard of people being put into hotels, into other dorms and even on other campuses based on how many students arrive. Try calling ahead, but I believe it's on a first-come, first-serve basis. 

there is no way to have a double room with a private bathroom if I'm a master's degree student under cis scholarship ???that's is very disappointing ??

@妍卉 Easy answer? No. The vast majority of scholarship students are either in the blue dorm near Yuquan campus or the foreigner's dorm in Xixi. The blue dorm at Yuquan is split into A and B, one of those sections has double bedrooms with private baths and the other is double bedrooms with public bathrooms. There does not seem any logic or order to how you're assigned. I was told that I would receive my own bedroom with my own bathroom via email but was given a double bedroom with a public bathroom when I arrived. A classmate in the same major arrived after I did, but was given a double bedroom with a private bathroom. There are men and women of all ages and all countries and all majors on both sides.

I think if you have a kid, you get your own bedroom (and maybe if you're a PhD student? I met a few PhDs who had their own rooms). 

I'm not sure about Xixi as I never stayed in those dorms, but my classmates there all have roommates and public bathrooms. 

So you might get a private bath or you might not, seems to be based on luck. Also, I'm not sure if there is a difference between CIS and CGS.

Edited by Alex_Hart
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2018 at 10:25 PM, INSTYAbam said:

I have been informed by UK embassy that I have a scholarship but wondering when I might hear from ZJU about term dates and stuff I want to get my flight tickets booked. Anyone know when we might hear?

80863531_WeChatImage_20180611162115.thumb.jpg.f74badeffa61acbee0afc47f183c753b.jpg169806397_WeChatImage_20180611162111.thumb.jpg.6b4af22583b96801c0e87cda0891b388.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Helpful 1

Thanks for that Alex! Anyone know where the computing science undergrads stay in first year? From google I’ve figured out there so a computing account pence college on both Yuquan and Xixi campuses. Also I’m on the Chinese Government Scholarship wondering if I’m automatically assigned accommodation or ignore I should be looking into it now.

7 hours ago, INSTYAbam said:

Thanks for that Alex! Anyone know where the computing science undergrads stay in first year? From google I’ve figured out there so a computing account pence college on both Yuquan and Xixi campuses. Also I’m on the Chinese Government Scholarship wondering if I’m automatically assigned accommodation or ignore I should be looking into it now.

For CS, no clue. Xixi and Yuquan are very close to each other so neither should be a problem - I have classes on both campuses. 

As to the dorms, I believe you always receive accommodation, yes. You'll either be in the blue dorm on Yuquan campus or the foreign student dorm on Xixi campus. I think they try to put you on the campus where you will have classes, but I know people who mostly take classes at Xixi but live in the blue dorm. Will you have a year of language first? If so, you'll almost certainly be placed near Yuquan.

Ok that’s good to know thank you! I did a year of language study during 2016/2017 so I have a rough idea of how things work but this is a much bigger uni so I just wanted an idea of where I stand while I’m waiting for the full confirmation. One last thing I wasn’t sure about though do you know if I will get a residence permit for the full 4 years or if I have to re apply every year? I’m from the UK so I don’t know if it’d be any different if you’re from the states for example. 

15 hours ago, INSTYAbam said:

Ok that’s good to know thank you! I did a year of language study during 2016/2017 so I have a rough idea of how things work but this is a much bigger uni so I just wanted an idea of where I stand while I’m waiting for the full confirmation. One last thing I wasn’t sure about though do you know if I will get a residence permit for the full 4 years or if I have to re apply every year? I’m from the UK so I don’t know if it’d be any different if you’re from the states for example. 

I received mine for my entire time here - 3 years in my case. Can't tell you for sure though.

15 hours ago, INSTYAbam said:

Actually final thing to bother you with is there any Zhejiang wechat groups or anything where you can find more information about living there with pictures and whatnot? 

I'm not sure what you mean here. There are wechat groups for the student union, and your major might have its own wechat group, your dorm might also have its own group. There are also "public" Wechat accounts about life in Hangzhou aimed at expats, e.g. MORE Hangzhou magazine, Hangzhou Expat. There are similar groups in Chinese if you're already able to read Mandarin. You can add them in your wechat by searching for public accounts - type Hangzhou and you should be able to find them. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • New Members

Hi guys! I'm heading to Zhejiang University International Campus next month for the PIEGL program. Anyone who's also accepted to the same program? It would also be nice to have a heads up about the campus and the city :-) The only thing I know about Haining is the Angry Birds park LOL :-p

19 hours ago, Orpheury said:

Hi guys! I'm heading to Zhejiang University International Campus next month for the PIEGL program. Anyone who's also accepted to the same program? It would also be nice to have a heads up about the campus and the city ? The only thing I know about Haining is the Angry Birds park LOL ?

Did you get the scholarship or self payment?

It seems like ZJU has NO STRUCTURE when it comes to scholarship programs. They ignore emails most of the time and some teachers in international office are corrupted =_=

I've studied in other universities as well and I can assure you that you ZJU will disappoint you with great frequency.