Chinese-Forums

Zhejiang University

lilongyue

Any info on accommodation? There is a page in my admission package with general information for new students, according to it I will be living on Xixi Campus, probably at Dorm 10. I'll be a master's degree student studying under a CSC scholarship.

What is this dorm like? When can we move in? Any photos would be much appreciated.

Looking forward to meeting you.

linx: I got information about when the registration is, JW202, registration paper for freshmen, admission notice, and this map.

no information about accommodation. I read in this topic that if I am a scholarship student I will get a dorm in the International Student Dormitory outside campus, next to the Main Gate (as I read from map), but still I don't know if I should first go and register or can I get a room first leave my stuff and than go to the international college building.

I got the same papers everyone else did.

Inkama, I'm wondering the same, especially since I want to arrive in Hangzhou a few days before the official registration period.

Matt, I'm adding you.

Daeiram89, great info, thanks.

I can remember that i have read about arriving concerns that students are already accommodated 3 days before the registration date on the admission notice. It was also my concern because I want to have my flight on 28th, my registration schedule is Sept 2-3, i am very hesitant to have my flight at 30th because its Friday and i will arrive Hangzhou 5:15pm and office is already closed, so i will be forced to stay at the hotel for the weekend then. Oh my! I hope somebody can have a clarification for this matter.

Apologies, but can you please post questions and answers here where possible - if you ask a question on Skype you get one answer and nobody else can see it. If you post a question here you might get multiple answers and discussion, plus dozens or hundreds of people can benefit (just like you did last year, Matt ;-) )

This is in the T&C's

• Requests or offers of information off-site or via pm, ie: "I can help you with that, my MSN is . . .", are not permitted without good reason (ie privacy concerns)

for this reason.

Angelina, Daeiram, perhaps you could post your questions for Matt here? Matt, perhaps you could answer them, and if you'd like to do a full write-up on your experiences (and apologies if you already have) we have some suggestions here

• Like 1

No problem. I've already posted my question - #141, I want to know what the free accommodation for graduate students studying under a CSC scholarship is like, Xixi Campus specifically.

@Angelina,

most of the foreign students live in Yuquan campus or Zijingang campus, so I have no idea what the Xixi dorms are like. All i know is that Xixi is 20-minute walk away from Yuquan and that you'll have a roommate.

@inkama,

some scholarship students live in the 31st dorm and some live in the one outside the gate. You can always apply for another dorm , as long as you pay the difference ...

Here's my take on Hangzhou (written for another topic), I was studying there until early-July:

Hangzhou is alright. On the plus side - stunning scenery, unbelievable Chinese (style) gardens and good tea, but lacking in cultural activities and I'd say that the nightlife leaves a LOT to be desired, as IMHO most Chinese second-tier cities.

The Hangzhou dialect is 100% unintelligible, because well.. it's a completely different language, but I don't think that's a deal breaker, because everyone speaks Mandarin and while the pronunciation is not a standard, textbook Mandarin, it's usually ok. Moreover, that's a personal opinion, but I think it's important to get used to the way Chinese people speak (especially in southern China), because you'd never encounter pure Mandarin anyway (outside of the classroom) and the more experience you have dealing with slightly different pronunciations, the better. That's my two cents, though, some people disagree :).

The quality of teaching in Zheda is ok. It varies a lot from teacher to teacher, as you can imagine. The most important teacher by far is the grammar teacher and grammar teachers are usually good. My kouyu teacher this term is unbelievable, unlike last term when she was 3-4 out of ten. The yuede teachers are usually not very good and universally disliked :).

• Like 2

Yes, the one and only, she's a real credit to Zhejiang University :).

My grammar teacher was really good as well, always well prepared and on a personal level she got everything that's good about Chinese people :).

If anyone got any questions - feel free to ask, may not be able to answer straight away, because I'm on holiday, but I will.. at some point. :).

I agree, Wang Laoshi is definitely one of the best! I had her during my first semester and found her to be really good. I was a little disappointed with the teaching in my second semester. I think after Level 3, Zheda's teaching is not really of a high standard, although I did find Level 4 really good. Level 5 felt a little bit like a waste of time for me, but maybe that was just my attitude.

Hopefully I get Wang laoshi. Looking forward to it!

On a totally unrelated note: What are the student clubs and intramural sports like on campus? And, just on the off chance, is there a boxing club anywhere around Yuquan campus? I read Huanglong Sports Center has one but I can't find anything about it.

Thanks again!

• New Members

inkama: I'm quasi sure I read about 6 levels and not 7! But I may be wrong.

I also would love to know what textbooks are used for the Chinese Language Program, and what are the levels like... I know we should just wait and see, but I'm just too curious (and even slightly nervous, I don't know why) at the moment!

And, moreover, what are the proficiency tests like? I read that there was an written test and an oral one, but I would love to know what they are actually composed of!

Thank you! :)

@inkama, yup, there are 7 levels. 1-3 is beginner, 4-5 is intermediate and 6-7 is advanced. You do have sub-levels as well, for example if you are 3.5 during the first term, you will be level 5 next term, etc.

I think the first 3 levels are 对外汉语本科系列教材 published by Beijing Language and Culture University Press, while level 4-5 are 桥梁 by the same publisher. Not sure about level 6-7, but I vaguely remember it was Beijing Language and... books as well and you have to explain some 成语s in your own words in Chinese. Sounds like fun, no doubt about that :D.

You shouldn't get too stressed out about the entrance exams. The written exam is just a general test and the oral exam is a nice little chat. Moreover, I thought (and there were quite a few people who shared this sentiment) that level 4 is slightly easier compared to level 3, so go figure...

I think the bottom end is that you can learn a lot of Chinese if you study hard, regardless of the level.

And one last thing - generally speaking, you have lots of homework when you're level 1-3, while level 4 is a bit more 轻松 and my impression is that the higher the level, the less you have to study, do homework, etc. After all, some people in level 6 rarely bothered to show up and level 7 was like 5-6 people, so ... :).

@llinx, you have lots of people playing football (soccer), there's a swimming pool as well, tennis courts, basketball courts, etc.. not sure about boxing though, but if anyone likes to play volleyball, send me a PM, I will give you the contact of the guy in charge of the volleyball team in Yuquan, who also happens to be one of the most welcoming Chinese people you're ever going to meet :).