Chinese-Forums

Places to See Near Chengdu

muyongshi

Okay...I have a dilemma and I hope somebody can help. I live near Chengdu and so am fairly familar with it and have seen all of the normal places to see but for 十一 I want to take the girl I like out for a day (I know great time to do it....). She is a Chengdu local so she has also been to all the normal places (which will be to crowded anyway) so I guess I am wondering if any one knows of any not-so-popular but will still be fun to go places (and can be done going and coming in about a day). Preferably scenic type things but not 三行堆 type of things. Any help is appreciated cause I am at a loss.

Thanks for the advice...where is the national defense park and what is it like?

Quick side note...I know the one 成都人 that actually doesn't like the 热闹. I know amazing isn't it. I personally wouldn't mind going to the amusement park but she has been there twice already as well as th busyness drops it down on the list of options.... dang 十一:tong

If you've got money to burn, a day trip to Lhasa :mrgreen:

This is actually feasible if you can spring for the plane tickets, but it's hardly wise. Flight is about two hours, leave at 7.30am, be in Lhasa proper around 10.30. Quick look round the center of town, taxi to one of the main monasteries, and then back to the airport for your 5pm flight back to Chengdu. Only trouble is that you'll need to buy two sets of return tickets, and that's going to cost you RMB6000, which is slightly out of my budget for a day trip. But maybe she's worth it =*

I seem to remember there being a monastery day-trip distance out of Chengdu with a very good vegetarian restaurant (not the ones in the city, but quite a bit out). Can't remember any details though and I can't find anything online so maybe I'm imagining it.

Well, if you want to make an impact and waste whatever is in your wallet, there are cheaper options - day trip for two to Xi'an or Nanjing on the 3rd would cost you around RMB2000 in fares. Go on. You know you want to. Romantic, impressive, and environmentally destructive . . .

Roddy I feel I need to reiterate my earlier statements **** you.

I am looking at going to guiyang for the day (I swear I am crazy...). Does anybody know if this possible to do in a day and what is there to do in city or can you get out to the country side in one day (and back)? The tickets are arriving 9am and flying back 10:30pm... any thoughts?

There are a LOT of places to visit in the vicinity of Chengdu. The simplest thing to do, if you speak Chinese, is ask any Chinese person about what they recommend you check out. Ask a taxi driver.

Off the top of my head: Qing Cheng Shan (check out 后山 instead of 前山), Si Gu Niang Shan, Du Jiang Yan, Wo Long (panda reserve).

What about the stuff outside the city?

Oh and just a quick thing about asking the locals...I have asked around ten of my local friends who just sit there and stare at me blankly. All they know are the big tourist places...

You want to fly to Guiyang, go outside the city, hang out for a few hours, return to Guiyang, and fly back to Mianyang all in the same day? That seems even crazier to me. How can you relax and have a good time like that? Anyway - I have no idea what's outside of Guiyang.

Oh and just a quick thing about asking the locals...I have asked around ten of my local friends who just sit there and stare at me blankly. All they know are the big tourist places...

I see. Chinese people know more about what's cool to see in/around their cities than any foreigners will, seems like you just haven't found any who really know yet. I'd keep asking. Or look in Lonely Planet or something. If you're looking for a really unknown spot you might have to find it yourself for obvious reasons.