Chinese-Forums

I am always confused by "here you go."

czjacky

Can anyone give me a close chinese meaning ? When I check out from a supermarket, the clerk always says "here you go". It is really hard for me to figure out what it exactlly means in chinese---难道是"您走好", but when someone start doing something, they says it as well or "here we go". Another words like "peace(seems like 'say you later')" "yo", I still can not find a very accurate chinese word instead. :cry:

好多人都被我这个问题问倒了 :wall ,我也被它困惑了有两年了,真诚希望大家能给我“授业解惑”。

谢谢!!

So are you saying you don't quite understand what they mean or that you just don't know how to translate them? I have no idea how to translate them into Chinese, but I know what they mean. "Here you go" and "here we go" have a different meaning, and in general "to go" is used in many idiomatic sayings without it really implying to actually going somewhere...

When the salesperson gives you back the change and says "here you go", it doesn't actually mean anything special, it's just said when something is given to someone. In my native language Finnish we have an equivalent that means "be good", but no-one thinks of it in that way. :D So I guess it just emphasises that the money is given and makes it more polite. It could also be "Here you are", and I guess that might be less confusing too. Do people in China say 给您钱 in the same situation? But "here you go" is more universal and you can use it fore example if someone asks you to pass the bread at the table.

I guess these things don't always translate easily, or they can be translated in very different ways depending on the context. :-?

"Here we go" is just like back put it: it emphasises that something is going to be done very soon. I guess the translation would depend on the context as well, since there is no deeper meaning involved.

I agree with most of what was posted above, but have thought of some additional things.

"Here you go" means "I have something 'here' that will allow you to 'go' on with what you intend." The implication is that the speaker has something that the hearer lacks in order to continue with something. It can never mean 您走好 (Have a good one?), 我们现在就开始吧”or “让我们开始吧. I think these last two mean: "Let's go" or "Let's get going."

"Here you go" can also be used if the speaker is physically putting the listener in a position to continue with something. For instance, if someone is sitting before a computer and trying to turn it on, you can reach over his or her shoulder and press the right button. Just as you do this or just after the button is pressed, you can say: "here you go" to declare that the way is now free to proceed.

A mother who has a baby crying in her arms could say "here you go" as she puts a bottle in the baby's mouth.

"Here I go" is related and means that the speaker is just beginning something. It implies some sort of challenging activity and physical motion, but might be stretched to include other things.

"There you go" is like "here you go," but means that no action is required of the listener for the speaker to remove the obstacle to progress. This phrase could also be used in the computer example above. It could also be used in the grocery store if the change is placed on the counter and the listener does not have to hold out his or her hand to receive the change.

不知道是不是“这边走”的意思,有点望文生义了,可能我的是错的.

If “这边走”can mean something like "you go here," I would agree. "Here you go" is really an idiom. It does not have an obvious literal meaning to an English speaker. It even sounds a little ungrammatical if taken literally.