Chinese-Forums

ZDT: 070RC2 - pinyin incompletely displayed

drahnier

• 2 weeks later...

Hope it would not be too long til there is a new build. I'm in the process of tidying up my almost complete Rosetta Stone Level 2 categories and would like to have this done as early as possible (I spend almost three hours yesterday with RC3 cathing those bugs) ...

Also: the screen distortions I have reported with earlier builds also occur with RC3 (observed on two Vista machines this time so far); it is always caused by scrolling through the list of categories.

That's really great news. The rendering problem really got on my nerves ...

I can't see this new build in the sandbox section of the sourceforge project page right now. I guess, it willl take some time to appear there (did you assign it a distinct name, such as rc3a)?

So are we talking about the same bug? The one I fixed occurs when you keep moving a category up and down a bunch of times and then eventually what looks like a graphical glitch shows up when the program runs out of memory...

If it is, can you try installing again to a completely new directory and seeing if it has the same problem?

Chris

We're talking about the same bug.

I ALWAYS de-install previous builds, and even clean up all garbage zdt leaves behind despite de-installation, that is the .eclipse directorty, the per-user data generated due to Vista's virtualization. I am a computer scientist and am familiar with software engineering, operating systems for more than 30 years now.

I can reproduce this bug on two machines; and it is extremely simple to do so: I have a list of 120 plus categories. When I try to move the bottom one to the top of that list, that bug surely shows up.

As a side-note: The pinyin appears to be rendered fine now. I have tidied-up some 80 of my categories yesterday and did ont find a single problem.

Sorry, but I have just discovered some new pinpin display errors:

1437_thumb.attach

1438_thumb.attach

1439_thumb.attach

Well, the reason I'm asking you to install to a separate directory without un-installing is because I know there are those issues about the uninstall that you and others have reported on Vista.

I have manually downloaded on my Vista box the beta 3 and the rc3 builds. I can cause the leak in beta3 and it's fixed in rc3. If you are using rc3 and you're still seeing it, then it must have something to do with the uninstall leaving garbage behind... maybe even more things then you've already discovered.

Anyway, my Vista experience is still limited, so I'm slowing trying to figure out and solve these issues.

Chris

Seems like one of the Pinyin display errors (wrong position of special characters) is not just a Vista issue; I have a similar and easily reproducable case on my XP system.

I freshly downloaded and installed your latest RC3 (zdt-0.7.0rc3-setup-full.exe) a couple of minutes ago. I added "bu2dan4 ... er2qie3 ..." as a new card in a new category. In the category view with tone marks, zdt shows me the special characters in a wrong position and one space is missing: "bú ... dàn ...érqiě". If I try to edit the entry, zdt shows the correct Pinyin (with tone numbers) in the edit entry dialog. If I change the zdt preferences to show tone numbers instead of tone marks, everything is fine (also in the category view).

--> see attachments

In user.script, zdt stores the correct Pinyin version:

INSERT INTO USER_ENTRY VALUES(714,6,NULL,'u4e0du4f46 ... u800cu4e14 ...','u4e0du4f46 ... u800cu4e14 ...','bu2dan4 ... er2qie3 ...','/not only ... but also .../')

Hope it helps you to trace this error! Something must be wrong with the parser that generates the string with tone marks (ParserUtils.java).

1440_thumb.attach

1441_thumb.attach

1442_thumb.attach