Chinese-Forums

Favorite Chinese food

DrinkDrankDrunk

Hi nitnoy, the Suji you mentioned, if it'a by product of the gluten, it's actually called "麵筋" (mian4 jin). It is made from wheat flour and high in protein (it was washed somehow to get rid of most of the starch in the wheat). You can find in in some of the Shanghainess Restaurants out side of China as an appetizer cold dish. I can get them in Chinese grocery markets in Los Angeles without problems. I believe you could get them in other major Western cities as well (I think).

The Suji I know (made by my mom's Shanghainess friend who was born in late Qing dynasty) was from the delicate Tofu skins. They (the Tofu skins) had to sprinkle on seasonings and some finely chopped stuff (I forgot what they are), wrapped together, and then tied tightly and probably pressed down by something for a long time. Then steamed and served in cut slices. Their texture have the texture of a real tender chicken or firm fish. They are excellent to make mock chicken and mock fish. This type of Suji, you have to find in people's homes and no where else I know -- Maybe because it's just too difficult and time consuming to make. I haven't had it for almost 30 years since my mom's friend passed away. :cry:

I also like Tofu hua, especially the sweet ones with added fried peanuts. I know it's sort of weird, but it tastes good. Definitely xiao long bao and Northern style of soup filled baozi. I tried to make those without too much success.

Green onion pan cakes are also my favorite. Fortunately, I learned from my brother how to make them in childhood. When I came to U.S. without the proper Chinese restaurants at that time, I was able to make them myself. Later, I could buy the frozen ones in Chinese grocery markets in LA. You just need to fried them yourself. Again, I think you could get at least the frozen ones in most Western cities' Chinese grocery stores.

Hi Fireball, thanks for highlighting the suji and yes in Singapore, we do have those mock items made from delicate tofu skins and one of the best know varity will the mock goose, it's served deep fried and topped over fried noodle or "bee hoon" and other mock items and doused with curry gravy

well i must admit that in Singapore, there are not much people who really make the mock items at home anymore or even really know how to make it at all.

your tofu hua with fried peanuts sounds good to me, locally we have those tofu hua with braised peanuts but not fried peanuts, maybe should try it :lol:

ps: tried ice-cream with fried peanuts, it's really good :lol:

• 1 month later...

I could eat 羊肉串 every day. In fact, I ate it about 5 times a week when I was in China last year. Plenty of stories of people using "questionable" ingredients, but I don't care. Maybe 老鼠肉 isn't so bad after all.

When I returned to the states, I was craving it, I couldn't find it around herd, and out of desperation, experimented and found that you can make it easily yourself.

Ingredients:

1. Nice big hunk of boneless lamb shoulder

2. Bamboo skewers

3. Cumin, crushed or powered

4. Salt

5. Chili flakes

Steps

1. Cut up meat into good sized cubes, 3/4 inch works good

2. Put meat on skewers. Leave at least 1/4 inch between pieces

3. Put under broiler until brown (~7 minutes my toaster oven, top rack)

4. LIBERALLY sprinkle on a mix of cumin, salt, and chili (I like about a 40/30/30 ratio, respectively).

5. Turn skewers over and broil until brown (about another 5 minutes or so)

6. Liberally sprinkle on the mix on this side.

You don't have to soak the bamboo skewers because the broiler doesn't get as hot as wood coals.

1668_thumb.attach