Chinese-Forums

学点成都话

muyongshi

Ok long and short of it is I want to learn some 成都话 but do to the fact I don't live in Chengdu this is a bit difficult. And before anyone really asks Mianyang and Chengdu do have enough differences so that people in Chengdu make fun of the way Mianyang people speak 四川话.

I can learn a little bit from one of my friends but I fear it's not going to be enough and would like to make some progress on my on. I already know some very basic stuff and being in Mianyang helps a little bit with the feel of the language but I was hoping someone knew of resources (online or not) that would help. And obviously ones that have audio would be preferred.

Another idea I am having is finding someone on skype or something like that but I don't like that idea. All in all I want my one friend to teach me as even she has her own way of talking that is different than many other 成都人 but I think I need to start having a little bit and learning more before she will be willing to put in the effort (basically needs to see that I am not only willing but am working on it)... Any thoughts would be great!

You can get fairly academic books about this kind of thing, but I've only ever seen self-study materials for Shanghaihua and Cantonese. There's some stuff here, but I haven't looked in detail so don't be surprised if it's useless.

You might get some pointers from this, but use with caution.

Edit: this looks like it might be the most useful.

• 2 months later...

I study in Chengdu. I think people living here have no difficult understanding mianyang people's accent because some of my classmates come from mianyang.

have you every heared 《猫和老鼠 川话版》(the cartoon "Tom and Jerry")?

I think it's a good source and funny...

i recommand you get the cartoon..

by the way, I think i can give you some help in learning 成都话...

Oh yeah...I have heard of it and can't believe I didn't think of it before...

I'm not concerned about the understandability of the two as I know a mianyang person can be understood but I would rather learn the chengdu variety (for previous stated reasons).

One of my classmates[from mianyang] said there wasn't noticeable difference in MianYangHua and ChengDuDua[To me, indeed as he spoke to me in MianYanHua]. Instead, ChongQingHua[my mother tongue] and ChenDuHua ,a huge difference to me. Well, even that 'huge' difference doesn't make any sense to those who are living outside SiChuan or ChongQing.

With the fact that ALL of my friends from other language regions never think there is the difference between CQ Hua and SC Hua, I think, you'd better give a second thought on differenciating ChenDuHua and MianYangHua.

By the way, If you can notice there is a slight[To me 'Huge', as I can tell where one is from just by one's accent] difference between CQhua and CDhua, your Chinese must be so awesome that you are likely better than most Chinese who speak dialects mainly.:roll:

Well samson I appreciate your offer and maybe you could start by posting some basic things on here in regards to difference of sentence structure a few of the more common words (ie 晓得,啥子 and add a brief explanation of the pronunciation for everyones benefit- thankfully this part will be easier for me as I hear these words every day and already know the pronunciation). And hopefully everyone can benefit from this as well.....

Yetiboy...I know what you mean about Chongqing vs. Chengdu. The part I find the funniest is how angry some chongqingers will get if you mention to them that they speak 四川话. They are so adiment that it is not 四川话 it is 重庆话 even though it really is more of an accent issue (with a few other minor differences). I know the difference between chengdu and mianyang are not huge as you so put it but I will restate that I prefer the chengdu variety as my main reason for learning to "speak" it and not just understand would be for a person that is from Chengdu and well they get a kick out of the way mianyang people say 面包...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Watch the movie <大电影2.0 两个傻瓜的荒唐事> and you will find something useful.

It wasn't that useful just really, really, REALLY entertaining. And the funniest part is is that happens so often!!! You ask them to speak mandarin and they say of course and keep rattling on in sichuanhua. here are my emotions towards this phenomenon :evil::lol::help:tong:shock::conf:wall:roll:

• 5 months later...

Hi, my roommate is from 成都, and I'm curious about how I should expect his Mandarin to be. He'll be studying in the US, so I assume he will be well educated. Do most educated 成都人 speak 標準的普通話, or do many have a heavy accent?

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, my roommate is from 成都, and I'm curious about how I should expect his Mandarin to be. He'll be studying in the US, so I assume he will be well educated. Do most educated 成都人 speak 標準的普通話, or do many have a heavy accent?

yes, most well-educated chengdu-ren speak standard putonghua, but with an accent in between cantonese/ hunanese and standard putonghua. "R" , "zh", "ch", "sh" sounds are very light in my ears, but no doubt that they speak much better than cantonese because their dialects are very close to putonghua.

• 2 weeks later...