Chinese-Forums

Which dialect is this?

Myriam

The language the singer said before the song begins is mandarin with slight northern accent. The song is definitely not in Dongbei dialect, but some mixture of North west accents, and the singer used mainly dialect spoken in Ningxia province.

Darn my reading comprehension...

For a couple days, I thought the other messages in the discussion were saying the beginning song in the initial video was that song posted later. Now I just re-read it and saw they say that it's similar to that song... Oh well...

I asked my wife about the song in the initial video. It's called 好汉歌, by 刘欢。

She says it's from the TV Series taken from the famous novel "Outlaws of the Marsh" or 水浒传. That song has a Shandong accent to it (although it's still sung in 普通话).

That second song that was linked, she said that one sounds more like a 陕西 accent (still 普通话 though).

• 1 month later...

It did sound a little like Shangdong, but I think the way it was sung was more like Qin Qiang (Shanxi folk songs). And I checked the singer's home province, and he was from Ningxia 宁夏. It is located at the China's north west side and close to Shanxi and Shaanxi. It was sung in Mandarin with a mild Ningxia accent. I like his style, and I think I am going to get his CD's.