Chinese-Forums

please help me: “kick your ass”踢你的屁股:)

back

i often hear these two in films,please explain them for me in english.

what is kick your ass, and what is it goes without saying that

1.kick your ass (踢你的屁股。。如果你。。的话?)

2.It goes without saying that(=needless to say?不用说。。。)

thanks in advance。 :conf

"Kick your ass" means to do something bad to someone.

I would say that this expression means more specifically something like: "to beat up someone so badly that you will be able to kick them in the behind as they run away." An extended meaning is "to convincingly defeat and humiliate someone or some team in a competition." Both expressions are fairly restricted in usage to threats and challenges. They are not used to describe someone else's actions.

• 1 month later...

In the Land of Oz, if you say "I'm gonna kick your ass" it means something like "I'm going to get you for that" or "You're going to pay for that." Generally speaking it can mean to beat someone up.

Both expressions are fairly restricted in usage to threats and challenges. They are not used to describe someone else's actions.

Actually, in the U.S. at least, it's more complicated than that. You can use the expression to describe a third party's actions; however, it tends sounds awkward to a native speaker if you describe the victim with a proper noun rather than a pronoun. For example,

"I'm gonna kick your ass" means that I'm going to beat you up or defeat you.

"He's gonna kick your ass" means that he's going to beat you up or defeat you.

"She's gonna kick his ass" means that she's going to beat him up or defeat him.

However, if you wanted to say that the Phillies were going to defeat the Marlins, you probaby wouldn't say:

"The Phillies are gonna kick the Marlins' ass."

It's not incorrect, and I do hear it from time to time, but it's a bit awkward. You'd be more likely to phrase it so the victim is referred to with a pronoun instead:

"The Marlins have no chance. The Phillies are going to kick their ass."

Or you might insert a pronoun by phrasing it passively:

"The Marlins are going to get their ass kicked by the Phillies."

When referring to a sports team or other group, some people say "kick their ass" and some say "kick their asses." The first sounds better to me, but it's probably a question of taste; I'm sure either will sound fine.

Of course, you must also distinguish "kick your ass" from "kick-ass," which means cool, exciting, or powerful. As in, "Dude! Kick-ass ride!"

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I have to say that this is one hilarious thread! I've never had to analyze swear words before! And, yes, sons-of-bitches is the correct way to pluralize it. "sumbitch" is generally a very Southern way of saying the singular form, though. You'll probably get a lot of laughs if you say that.

In the UK everyone in the south pronounces "ass" as "arse", so everytime my American or Canadian friends in the UK hear the term "kick arse" they find it highly amusing.

The most confusing term is "piss" as there are so many different uses of it.

Take the piss (make fun of)

Take a piss (make weewee)

I'm pissed (drunk)

I'm pissed (angry)

I'm pissed off (angry)

piss off (go away)

pissing down (raining)

pissed on (rained on)

pissed on (beaten badly in a sporting/game context)

pissed it away (wasted something)

• Like 1

• 12 years later...