Chinese-Forums

History of Kanji 漢字 usage in Japan / 柳橋新誌 - A Japanese text to mention...

Xi'Er Dun

Is there a website online resource that has information on the history of Kanji 漢字 usage in Japan, with much more interest in prewar and pre/early modern Japan. (Edo 江戸, Meiji 明治, Taishō 大正, Early Shōwa 昭和 eras [only interested in up until 1945 of course])

I have great interest in prewar Japanese literature and so the Pre-War Japanese Orthography like the use of Kyūjitai 舊字體 Kanji and Historical Kana Spellings - Rekishi Kana Zukai 歷史仮名圖解 --

like for example [ 學 for 学, 國 for 国, くわう for こう and きう for きゅう] to know what I mean.

There is a particular historical Japanese Text I am interested in obtaining or viewing, it is called the "Yanagi-bashi ShinShi"[柳橋新誌] and can be found in the Meiji Kaikaki Bungakushū [明治開化期文學集]. I believe that these texts are available as books, but is it possible that I could get scanned or PDF versions of these texts, if such things do exist, could someone on this forum please link me through to the online sources like websites/webpages where these texts are found?

I much prefer scanned texts because I really dislike electronic typed versions as many of the Historical Japanese Texts use Kanji that are not included in modern Japanese Character Sets like SHIFT-JIS and EUC, as they only show glicthes where there should be Kanji.

By the way, when was Kanji usage in Japan at its height? I have been told in the 1930's, but is this true?

如何も有り難う御座い升

謝謝您

希爾頓從

Is there a website online resource that has information on the history of Kanji 漢字 usage in Japan, with much more interest in prewar and pre/early modern Japan. (Edo 江戸, Meiji 明治, Taishō 大正, Early Shōwa 昭和 eras [only interested in up until 1945 of course])

I have great interest in prewar Japanese literature and so the Pre-War Japanese Orthography like the use of Kyūjitai 舊字體 Kanji and Historical Kana Spellings - Rekishi Kana Zukai 歷史仮名圖解 --

like for example [ 學 for 学, 國 for 国, くわう for こう and きう for きゅう] to know what I mean.

Yes, plenty. Did you try Google?!