Chinese-Forums

Chinese Transliteration of Names...

geek_frappa

Yes! You did a great job transliterating that name! The dot is to separate the personal name from the surname. Although, in the Chinese/East Asian tradition, the surname comes first, followed by the middle name if you have one, and the personal name.

查维斯·西泽 CHAVEZ Caesar

The dot is needed because it's difficult for a Chinese to distinguish between the surname and personal name. But for Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Vietnamese names, and perhaps some more that I don't know of, no dot is needed, because we are familiar with the surname, and distinguishing between the names is easy.

I hope this helped.

- Shibo :tong

As long as that primary school stays in the United States, It will be transliterated as 西泽·查维斯小学. But if that person bearing that name, (what did he do? he must be famous to have a school named after him) were to be resurrected, I love resurrections :twisted: came to live in China, then he would be called surname first, personal name last, 查维斯· 西泽.

I hope it is clear now!

- Shibo :twisted: Resurrected

I think the order of the names would not change in such a transliteration.

It would change for a transliteration like this one - Joseph Needham -> 李約瑟

But not for names like this one - George Bush -> 喬治· 布什

BTW, Caesar is also called 凱撒 in Chinese.

Right Caesar, if you are referring to the Latin name/king is 凯撒 because that's how the Romans pronounced it, as for Caesar Chavez, he's Mexican, and they pronounced it 西泽.

I've studied some Spanish and I just can't believe that Mexican people would pronounce Caesar anywhere close to 西泽, it just doesn't fit into the Spanish pronunciation. I think that's rather closer to the way Americans (or other English-speaking people) would pronounce it, and isn't the school in question in the US anyway?