Chinese-Forums

What's Your Favourite Character?

BeijingMadeEasy

• 1 year later...

Guess I am bringing up the dead, but its a fun topic.

I am partial to any of the hanzi dealing with birds, but my favorite one is 枭 (xiao/owl). It just looks so beautiful, with the bird in the tree.

hmm..make sense. Too bad I always associate this character with 毒枭...which is how I see it used most.

oh well, at least there is always 鸨....oh wait...j/k

(sorry I had to post and make fun of the bird radical...only b/c bird characters always cause me problems in pronunciation ...I've ranted on the board somewhere about characters about birds heheh...but it definitely is a cool radical. I too like any radical or character that looks like an animal :mrgreen: for instance.....)

But I guess I should actually have a favorite character too. I think I like writing the character 水 most ~and~ I like both the simplified and traditional version of 龜 龟...since they look like they could just get up and crawl away :shock:

xue2 - it means study, but it looks like the lightbulb that comes over cartoon figures heads meaning they got an idea. i also write it so pretty.

shu1 - book. i just write it so awesome like, i love to write it.

pin4. - well, i just found that google defines it as "engage, betroth, get married". didn't know that. our class vocab has 应聘 ( ying4pin4 - apply for a job)and 招聘 (zhao1pin4 - invite applications for a job). but i just write it so pro, my printer can't make it look better. now that i know it's solo meaning, i love it even more.

so yeah, i like the characters that i feel i can handwrite better than my printer can print.

凸【tū】 protruding; raised.

凹【āo】 concave; hollow; sunken; dented.

even though they arent very common, these are my favorite characters. they almost look like they dont belong in the chinese language, and they perfectly represent their meanings

Would you mind posting it?

Also, I have a question; some of these characters that are posted (like the "囧女“ ) i've never seen and on the website don't have any pronunciation, not to mention meaning. I understand some of them don't have meaning, but how did you guys find them/ how are they pronounced? I know very little about things like unicode, or "four corners' method or the like, but really want to learn.

as I said, if you would open your eyes and not your mouth, I did try to look it up in a dictionary

Thanks, that site helped, and I found the character fine; but what I mean is, is their a way to pronounce it, in putonghua at least? I just get so excited whenever I see a new character.

• Like 2

From the first page of searching for the-character-that-must-not-be-typed on google:

http://chardb.iis.sinica.edu.tw/char/33653

You just need to try a bit harder.

[sorry, edited post twice, I need to pay more attention.....]

Edited by jbradfor
  • Like 1

F

Y

I,

The Unihan database doesn't have any information on how [u+21738] is pronounced. 康熙字典 says it's an older form of 屢, pronounced lǚ in Mandarin.

Also, if someone actually types the character in a post, their post will be truncated.

• Like 1

I'd say 攀 (pān - to climb). I love how the radicals are put together in this character; it's smart in composition and therefore easy to remember:

- two trees at the top in between which there are two crosses like you might cross your hands when climbing up a tree

- a radical for "big" in the middle

- the hand radical at the bottom

Complex yet simple and intuitive!

I like I met it first in my HSK exam that I was so ill prepared for I couldn't answer half the questions.

The main thing I remember is thinking how much it looks like a cute little bug.

Two small antenna, two big eyes and the classic stripes compartmentalised body.

No, after 4 years I still don't recall what it means....

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love the character:

It's so descriptive of the relation between autumn and nostalgic melancholy that is immortalized in Chinese and Vietnamese poetry. I remember it as "The autumn of the heart". I'm not sure if that is correct interpretation, but I don't see "qiu" as functioning to aid the pronunciation in either Cantonese, Mandarin or Vietnamese.

I also love:

I know that men2 serves to aid pronunciation, but there is just something about the picture of a heart crammed inside of the character, like someone's spirit is so depressed.

Also:

Because perserving takes mortification of one's desires, like pressing a knife to one's heart!

Anything that has the heart radical is so beautiful!

• Like 1