Chinese-Forums

What's Your Favourite Character?

BeijingMadeEasy

• 2 weeks later...

Probably 乐/樂/楽.

I especially like the meaning it has in Japanese (when read 'raku'). E.g. 楽になりたい. I've no idea how to translate this specific concept to English. Also, the word 楽園. Too bad it got downplayed to simple 'playground' in modern Chinese. But it retains its original meaning in Japanese.

My favourite character is 电 diàn. I first learned this as 電 when I learned Japanese. I really like the story of the rice field being hit buy lightning from the clouds. The instant mnemonic is what got me interested in characters. I always try to learn the radicals and etymology of new characters.

The 'rice field being hit by lightning' is 雷, not 電. There were originally many fields with a lightning bolt moving between them, then they were dropped and 雨 was added for clarification. 电 is simply a picture of a lightning bolt, although it got heavily distorted later.

• 3 weeks later...

My Chinese friends don't seem to have a favourite character. Watching the fascinating video mentioned above ('How to write the character 之') I can see why - all the Chinese characters are so beautiful. I don't have any favourite words to write in English and none of them are, of themselves, beautiful or ugly: or maybe familiarity causes me to miss some aesthetic. Anyway, as I write :-), my favourite characters are:

或 ... (或者) and

惑 ... (困惑) and then

咸 ... (咸蛋) and

感 ... (感兴趣).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was surprised that I didn't find a topic about the most beautiful Chinese characters when I searched for it, so I am now taking the liberty to start one. Quite simply: Which Chinese character, traditional or simplified, is your favorite one from a purely aesthetic point of view?

I've always been a sucker for this character for emperor: . I especially like writing it. It goes quite well together with the meaning, too. What's yours?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...