Chinese-Forums

Help leaving Windows for Linux in China...

wobblythoughts

The language for everything is English
And that's why you don't have the same problem :mrgreen: The problem is caused because I want to have everything in Chinese, but for things that don't have Chinese I want it to use a nice looking font. Unfortunately, for whatever reason (most likely related to the fact that I did a Chinese install), for ASCII text, the font-matching algorithm always chooses a Chinese font ahead of a non-Chinese font and the Chinese fonts have ugly looking English letters. If I set everything to English then I can have nice looking fonts without any problems. If I set everything to Chinese and then override the font-config settings to force a nice looking English font to be chosen ahead of a Chinese font, then it breaks the display of Chinese characters for all GTK apps (not just SCIM).

When I've got some time, I'm going to try upgrading to a more recent version and see if that fixes things.

• 9 months later...

Just trying out the live DVD of Ubuntu 8.10 now, and the font problem I mentioned earlier is no longer there. When doing a Chinese language install, it has nice looking default fonts for both Chinese and any English text that still happens to appear on the screen, although they seem to go a bit heavy on the anti-aliasing of Chinese characters. There are a couple of other little quirks and annoyances at the moment, like when writing this, for some reason firefox seems to think every single word is incorrectly spelt and is underlining it in red :roll: Overall however, quite good first impressions. I'll pop the Kubuntu 8.10 live DVD in next and see how it goes :)