Chinese-Forums

Japanese Kanji currency symbols like 弗 for Dollar, 仙 for Cent,听 Pounds Sterling, etc.

Xi'Er Dun

Can anyone tell me about the historical use of Japanese Kanji 漢字 used for symbols for foreign currencies? I am referring to Kanji like 弗 (doru ドル) for Dollar(s) (any sort of dollar(s), though most likely US Dollar(s)), 仙 (sento セント) or Cent(s) (any sort of cent(s), though most likely US Cent(s)) and even a Kanji for British Pound Sterling -- 听 (pondo ポンド). Note: 听 has nothing to do with the 简体 Chinese Simplified Character 听 [tīng/ting1]--to listen, to the best of my knowledge anyway.

My main questions regarding these Kanji used in Japanese to represent foreign currencies are, "when were these Kanji currency symbols used?", "when did these Kanji currency cease to be used in publications?", and finally, "in what context were these Kanji currency symbols used?"

I have seen one Japanese pre-war newspaper article that uses 弗 for "dollar", but Japanese newspapers all today use a Katakana spelling--[ドル] to represent a reading of the once used Kanji "doru", a weak transliteration of the word "dollar".

I have never seen a publication that 仙 used "to represent "cent", but this is suggested in a Japanese Kanji Character Dictionary 漢字辭書/漢字辭典.

It also lists a Kanji symbol to represent the British Pound Sterling --- 听 which has a reading of "pondo" which is now written in Katakana as ポンド.

All of these Kanji which were used to represent foreign currencies were given an English based reading, a sometimes weak transliteration, also come under the Ateji 当て字catergory of Kanji readings. It can be noted that Modern Mandarin referring to PuTongHua 普通话 uses the Hanzi Simp:镑 Trad:鎊 with a reading of [bàng] to represent the British Pound Sterling. Chinese uses 圓 [yuán]]and 元 [yuán] for any sort of dollar(s), 分 [fēn] for any sort of cent(s) (which 分 also means "minute(s)" in Japanese and Chinese), and the once used Japanese Kanji for dollar(s), also has readings of "futsu" [フツ]--ON'yomi音讀み" and "zu" [ず]--kun'yomi訓讀み, which this Kanji has a true meaning of a negative particle as it was used in lieterary Chinese at some point, so why ever was it used to represent "dollar(s)"? Quite often now worldwide, the Latin based symbols like $, ¢ and £ are used to represnt these currencies.

By the way, there are of course even Chinese Hanzi 汉字/漢字and Japanese Kanji 漢字 once used to represent Imperial and Metric unit measurements (most of them now obsolete), the Japanese ones were given English based readings in their measurment unit context, and the Chinese used Chinese phonetic based readings I believe. None of these measurement unit Kanji or Hanzi I have ever seen used at all today.

By the way, before I finish this post, does anyone with a knowledge of Historical Kanji usage know about a Kanji for the Japanese term "yori" [より], which means "from"used at the end of a letter. Was the Kanji used for this [於], [于] or [從], as they all have a "yori" [より] as one of their few readings I believe? [從] seems the most logical seeing that it is the Chinese Traditional Character 繁體 used to mean "from" which is read [cóng].

Would anyone be kind enough to share their information with me about these Japanese Kanji used to represent foreign currencies, if they know about them or have seen them used before?

如何も有り難う御座い升

希爾噸

Why do you keep asking these (obscure) questions about Japanese here? This is not a Japanese forum. Roddy can correct me, but this "other language" section is intended for the odd question then and now about another language by people who are otherwise interested in discussions about Chinese. You seem to be only interested in asking questions and not in taking part in discussions.

Yep, as far as I can see you've failed to say thanks for information received a single time and have never followed up on any of your posts. Leaving that aside, you'd surely be better off finding a forum or mailing list more suited to the questions you are asking.