Chinese-Forums

HSK *character* lists

roddy

hold off on doing anything with it, all being well there'll be a pinyin one along in a minute (for headwords, not all entries. Although that would be feasible if anyone wants it.

Edit: No there isn't. The unicode is getting in my way.

Did you convert the character to ~ on purpose, and can you create a version without it? Personally, I much prefer to be able to read characters like this in-line. Not sure if I'd ever use this list though, so it might not be worth your time if no-one else likes it like that.

Edit: No there isn't. The unicode is getting in my way.

Is there a problem in the encoding, or are you having problems with PHP?

The tone marks I've used for the pinyin are unicode-based (character and diacritic encoded separately) and some fonts and widget sets may have problems with them. It helps to use a unicode-aware environment and font.

I just found a great simplified Chinese HSK list with over 9600 characters + words on "The Mnemosyne Project" website that is available for download. However, the list is meant for the Mnemosyne software, but you can always download the file and export it to your other flashcard programs.

If anyone wants the Traditional characters version of this, let me know and I will upload it.

I just found a great simplified Chinese HSK list with over 9600 characters + words on "The Mnemosyne Project" website that is available for download. However, the list is meant for the Mnemosyne software, but you can always download the file and export it to your other flashcard programs.

The Mnemosyne database has exactly the same contents as the tab-separated list I posted in this thread (I made both). So if you want to use a program other than Mnemosyne, you can download the tab-separated lists from this thread -- most flashcard programs can import those.

Anki can load Mnemosyne XML files, BTW, so if you use that, you can download the Mnemosyne database.

If anyone wants the Traditional characters version of this, let me know and I will upload it.

You converted the Mnemosyne HSK database to traditional characters? If so, I'd love to have it, because people have been asking for it, so we could make the traditional version of the database available for Mnemosyne and KDE-edu projects. Same goes for the tab-separated lists here.

The simplified-traditional conversion is not trivial because one simplified character can sometimes map into several traditional ones. So the frequency tables are different.

For the words, however, it should be possible, because all words in CEDICT have both simplified and traditional Chinese, so one could write a script processing that.

Here you go. This list is slightly different from the list I found on the Mnemosyne website since I've made some minor relevant modifications based on what I know. For example 出租汽車 in Taiwan is called 計程車 so I added the new definition but left in the former.

Chinese HSK (Traditional).rar

Also, if you wanted the list I used to make the changes, they are in this excel file. (This one was not modified from the list I found on the Mnemosyne website) I'm not sure this would help, but at least it has a side-by-side analysis of the differences between Traditional and Simplified.

Unfortunately, it was a bit complicated for me to convert all of the Simplified to Traditional (I don't personally have the tools to do this) so sorry if the words in this file are not exactly in the order you need to cut and paste. Hope this helps.

Simp-Trad--wordlist.rar

Wow. Did you do that by hand? Impressive.

I've had a look at it in mnemosyne, and it seems to work fine.

Do you mind if I add it to the mnemosyne Chinese-HSK database and put it on the project website? Most people interested in HSK levels tend to use simplified characters, but I'm sure that plenty of people will find it useful.

I notice that you slightly changed the back of the flashcards (using ';' instead of '/') etc. Do you mind if I change them back when adding it to the Mnemosyne Chinese-HSK database, for consistency's sake?

EDIT: And if you don't mind, please shoot me your name and email (privately) so I can credit you properly for the work.

Thanks, but my Chinese coworker helped me out on this one. He had some crazy software which only works on Chinese versions of Excel that did the changes automatically and also very accurately I might add. All I had to do was figure out how to get the lists aligned so that I could cut and paste the Traditional characters over the Simplified ones.

As for putting it up on the website or changing it back for consistency, of course I don't mind since it might be of use to our community of Chinese learners.

Great, thanks! I'll add it to the Mnemosyne database and upload it soon. I'll also try to see whether I can update the KDE-edu files to include traditional characters. This is also something people have been asking for, but it will take a bit longer. Still much easier than doing it all myself, so thanks for your help!

• 3 years later...

I know this is a kind of old thread, but I made a character list from the new HSK vocab lists (sorted by level) and posted it on the nciku blog: http://blog.nciku.com/blog/en/?p=1870 . You can click on each character to get its stroke order animation, pronunciations, meanings, HSK words containing this character etc.