Chinese-Forums

Youtube blocked?

Rincewind

I hardly think google would let one of it's flagship products get blocked without making a fuss over it. So I expect Google to make changes and get youtube - in some form - back into china.

Actually Google has been much less accommodating to the Chinese government than Yahoo and Microsoft have been. Yahoo is currently being sued in the U.S. in the for giving emails of several Chinese dissidents who were using yahoo accounts over to the Chinese governments, leading to their conviction and imprisonment.

See http://www.wired.com/politics/onlinerights/news/2007/03/72972

'Yahoo Betrayed My Husband'

Yahoo's China subsidiary was also the only non-local internet company that was invited to a government-sponsored retreat recently.

See http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=202401567&pgno=1&queryText=

Chinese Internet Censorship Machine Revealed

InformationWeek

October 11, 2007 03:52 PM

Youtube is back and works faster than before, plus you can see ALL the pages.

I'm beginning to doubt that it was "blocked" in the first place on purpose. If it was a matter of censorship it would have stayed closed for much longer. I beleive it's been only some sort of server crash, those things happen all the time. Also, consider what kind of bad reputation China would have gotten if they really blocked youtube.. the most important site on the internet.. 7 months away from the Olympics.

If it was a matter of censorship it would have stayed closed for much longer. I beleive it's been only some sort of server crash, those things happen all the time.
A server crash that uncrashed the minute you started using a proxy, and recrashed the moment you went back to a normal connection? Not very likely. Although we can only speculate as to why it was blocked, and why it was subsequently unblocked, the one thing we can be sure about, was that it was blocked.
the most important site on the internet.
More important than the forums? Surely not :wink:

Ok that was SO clever. Someone removed my last post ONLY because I said vblogs like youtube and others are far more used and needed that text forums... I beleive it's the same one who was lashing out china's censorship.. And he remove my post ONLY because of that? How hypocritical.

Anyways, I'm outta here.

• 1 month later...