Chinese-Forums

Youtube blocked?

Rincewind

Oh that's a classic. I love the two Ronnies. Embarrassingly, I remember when they were new.

Still get blocked on some videos. I can see many videos concerning last weeks news but just occasionally something trips a keyword block. Of course there's nothing unusual in that.

Wow, I've never seen a news report score so high in terms of hits (Chinese). It seems as though some Chinese news footage from the government was uploaded and a lot of people suddenly looked at it thereby bumping that position into the most views list. In fact it's very rare for something in Chinese to get that high on the list. Interesting.

• 11 months later...

Anyone else having problems this evening? I watched one video around 6 pm then tried to access another at 6:12 and failed. I now can't get into it at all without using proxy.

Edited by liuzhou

Ditto, CNC/BT Beijing.

Without proxy, intermittently getting blocked, then unblocked, then blocked again... literally changing minute-by-minute.

Edit: and ironically the reason I went to YouTube earlier today was to watch linked videos from an analysis piece I was sure was going to be blocked by the GFW. Those YouTube videos are now no longer available to visitors from Chinese IP addresses (when one can get through at all), but YouTube is still serving them to non-Chinese addresses.

• 3 weeks later...

What amuses me is that people keep telling me that China's censors are getting more sophisticated.

So, they block a site containing millions of innocuous videos because one video offends their drunken sensibilities.

More people in China have probably seen the video because it was blocked than would have bothered to look otherwise.

Sophisticated?

Donkeys!

Edited by liuzhou