Chinese-Forums

Handwriting Thread!!

aafrophone

• 1 month later...

Here is mine, from my daily reviews - it is mostly dication mode, with some individual Hanzi thrown in.

@Hofmann - I think I remember you are from Hongkong, or at least you grew up in China, so the rest of us do not have to feel too bad about our stuff! Anyhow looking great!

Edit: I can do a little better than that - this is review mode. I also haiyou should be haiyao.

2209_thumb.attach

Edited by HerrPetersen

Ehh...well a while back in the thread someone was talking about little kids' handwriting.

Anyway, I've found that simply writing vertically will automatically make one's handwriting look better because vertically-aligned characters have some visual guides that are broken when the characters are written horizontally. For example, if you write some symmetrical characters like "中華不平" vertically, you have the center vertical strokes that you can use to align your characters. So writing vertically will give you improvement with zero effort. I'm used to writing vertically (mostly following the ROC stroke order). My handwriting deteriorates significantly when I try to write horizontally.

You can compare these two:

2qmmfeq.jpg

qz1346.jpg

The vertical one looks better right?

Oh, and use a fountain pen.

Edited by Hofmann

Hmm... I guess I can tell the top-to-bottom one looks a little better. What really gets me angry at times is, that once you learned to more or less read printed stuff you have to once again learn how to read handwritten stuff. While your (Hofman's) writing is clearly advanced/native-style you can still read it. But the teacher who corrected some hanzi in the text above - no chance at all.

Anyhow - here my evening review in top-to-bottom-style - still sucks, so no magic here. Still I will switch to reviewing like this for some time, so thanks for the tip. Did not use a ball point fountainpen in this one - but not a yuanzhubi either like in the first.

2210_thumb.attach

田英章 (a pretty famous modern calligrapher) made instructional videos. Here is a video playlist on brush and fountain pen calligraphy. Watch 3 and 6.

The following is a pretty good beginners' guide.

34dn5mv.gif

2cq16wl.gif

358wigp.gif

2i6mloo.gif

Edited by Hofmann

• 2 months later...

Hi am not sure if this is fitting here.I was wondering if anybody has some good resources to recommend for learning cursive handwritten chinese. I found that while I have no problem reading printed material, it is sometimes next to impossible to read handwritten (and usually written in cursive style) written chinese.

Is there any recommendations for books or maybe even online resources?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Curious to know how everybody writes.

Don't be shy. I don't expect professional calligraphy. I like to see common stuff.

Before I request you to share your handwriting, I'd better to start from myself. See attachment. Some random names from wuxia novels. Written with a ball pen on an envelope.

2836_thumb.attach

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
my hand writing is normally not quite in shape if I speed up to just jot down something quickly.

So how does it look when you write quickly? BTW, most characters are legible. 邊生 looks like 也古. 上 wasn't legible. Do you write vertically much? I think it should help.