Chinese-Forums

Favorite Chinese Teas

roddy

I'm getting ready to go back to China and have some gifts I want to bring with me. I've never been a tea drinker, but hear that Earl Grey is pretty popular. Do Chinese people drink it? Know of it? I want to bring one of my friends a type of tea that I can say is "western" and something they have probably never tried before.

I want to bring one of my friends a type of tea that I can say is "western" and something they have probably never tried before.

Bringing tea to China is kind of like bringing coals to Newcastle. Most likely initial reaction of Chinese friend trying Earl Gray is "What have they done to this tea?" Probably best to choose a gift that doesn't "compete" with local product.

But then, of course, you know your friend and I don't.

You make a good point, I'll have to think about it. Too bad he doesn't smoke and can't drink much. Has anyone tried giving some Chinese people western beverages before? If tea wouldn't be the greatest idea, maybe something along the lines of hot chocolate or something? Sorry to change the direction of the thread, I was originally just going to ask about the tea:)

My ever-expanding tea collection:

101_0029.jpg

101_0030.jpg

Most of the teas there are Chinese teas. One is a Darjeeling black tea, and a few are tisanes, but in the main that's Chinese green tea there.

Of those, it's hard to pick a favourite. When the mood is right, nothing compares to a good gunpowder tea, but Pi lo chun tea is also exquisite in its subtle, light tastes and I can always enjoy a cup later in the evening. Dragonwell tea is another great green tea which I drink regularly, has a richer flavour than the Pi lo chun and is just delicious.

I haven't yet tried puerh (shame on me!) and I've just ordered a tin of Lapsang Souchong. I also LOVE Russian Caravan, which isn't strictly Chinese, but rather a mix of Chinese and Assam teas.

Oh, I almost forgot: best fragrance ever is that of Jasmine Dragon Pearl tea. Indescribable.

Now, time to read the contents of this thread.

• 3 weeks later...

Tea.. I'm English, so I get this from both angles, and I love a cup of tea! :mrgreen:

Some of my favorites are: 杏仁茶, 菊花茶, 香片 and some 客家 style teas that they do in Taiwan.

I also like a good 高山 oolong tea.

Do 杏仁 and 客家 "teas" count? They're usually more like cereal! :mrgreen:

Fresh home-made green tea. My uncle owns a small tea farm which supplies local market and he will give us a lot every year before 清明. It may not be as good as those 碧螺春 or 龙井 that go for thousands yuan a kilo, but it's very fresh and free, so we've got nothing to complain.

Fresh home-made green tea. My uncle owns a small tea farm which supplies local market and he will give us a lot every year before 清明.

Ah! Lucky you. What a treat. What part of China are you in?

Edited by abcdefg

Quite bad there as well. I'm not living in Sichuan now but I heard that his tea plantation is affected like all the rest. He is not too worried though since it is only his "hobby", as long as there is a little bit of water to keep the trees from dying.