Chinese-Forums

Strange Surnames (as in not too common)

muyongshi

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Here is the most awkward first name i ever know. 焦(jiao1). when somebody ask 您贵姓? and you have to answer 我姓焦 (sounds exactly: I have sex).

His name wasn't 焦幢, was it? 您好,我姓焦,叫幢。。。

sounds like 性交 + 叫床

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

It's been mentioned already, but today a friend was actually talking about someone they knew whose surname was 苟, and both myself and a number of other friends did a double take until they explained it was not that 狗 but this 苟.

• 7 months later...

A perfect example of why this Forum is so comfortable to write & hang out in = great organization! (& Admins of course)

However since this thread has now been 'bumped' & merged, can the actual pronunciations actually be included along with these surnames....too many key strokes & mouse clicks to have to keep doing it myself in addition to clicking on this thread... *sigh* (yes, I know, and I would like some peeled grapes too....)

• Like 1

Inputting contacts for my (now former) work I came across a lady surnamed Shentu 申屠. Asked a Chinese friend about it, she'd never heard of that surname either. I forgot the lady's given name, but that was very commonplace, which was a pity I thought. With a surname like that, you really should come up with some really cool (preferably one-character) given name for your kid.

• 2 weeks later...