Chinese-Forums

Strange Surnames (as in not too common)

muyongshi

I thought 車 was a mongolian surname.

PS - this is relevant http://www.zwbk.org/...Show/70731.aspx

第十一個淵源:源於蒙古族,出自衛拉特蒙古特楞古德部,屬於漢化改姓爲氏。

蒙古族帖良古惕氏,源出蒙古特楞古德部,是衛拉特蒙古的古老部族之一,蒙古史稱爲“帖良古惕”。

公元十世紀時,在拜哈勒湖以西的廣大森林,就是帖良古惕部(Telengoutes)、兀兒速惕部(Orassoutes)、客思的迷部(Keschtimis)這三個古老部落的活動區域,皆以傳統醫術聞名於當時。

由於“帖良古惕”在歷史上有“Telengoutes”和“Talankut”兩種古通古斯語寫法,因此,也被稱作特楞古德、達楞古特、達郎古德等。

公元十五世紀明朝時期,在綽羅斯·也先汗建立瓦剌汗國、稱大元天盛大可汗時,帖良古惕部曾起了極其重要的關鍵作用。明末清初,特楞古德部歸爲新巴爾虎旗,列入蒙古巴爾虎姓氏族群之中。

清朝中葉以後,蒙古族帖良古惕氏多冠漢姓爲車氏、鐵氏,車氏漢化讀音作chē(ㄔㄜ)。

Another one:范姜, I've heard of only two people with this name, both in Taiwan. I think the story behind it is someone who took the name of his adopted family out of gratitude and attached it to his own surname.

• 1 month later...

There was a very very famous writer called 郁達夫. 郁 has meanings other than 憂鬱 (which is a result of the simplification of characters), so there is nothing to be sorry for people having this surname.

• 1 month later...

Somebody mentioned 诸. One of the administrators at my school is named 诸轶群; since we run an international curriculum, people often poke fun at her by saying her name in the First -> Last western order. Luckily she has a good sense of humor.

• Like 1

As I remember, there used to be a student in my highschool, his surname was 老...and as I know, someone's surname is 母....Both that even Chinese people hear and scratch their head out.

• 3 months later...

I got a side job that involves the Biographical Dictionary of the Qin, Former Han and Xin Periods. Apart from the fact that it's very cool that such a thing exists, and the unbelievable stories I come across, and the crazy characters they used for their given names (and that I can often not even type), I see some cool surnames. Today's find: 酈. A bit bigger so that people can actually see it: . Never seen this one before.

• 4 weeks later...

My middle name is "Tongco", It's my mother's family name. I know that it is from Chinese ancestry because it is not a native Philippine surname. Do you know any history or village with this kind of surname? Based on my research, the root name is probably just "Tong", and the suffix "-co" is an honorific, which was common during the 1800s for Filipino-Chinese. I also think that the origin of this name is probably high from Cantonese-speaking southern towns (i.e. HK, or Macau?)

• 4 months later...