Chinese-Forums

Usage of thanks.

md1101

We haven't earned your gratitude yet.

Ooh~ ~! Hehehehehehehe. I think it is my logic. May I explain why I use “thanks” each time at the end of my post?

I remember the webmaster on one of the forums on China Daily named “Translation Tips翻译点津” felt so puzzled when he first saw me used “thanks” each time. He sent me a PM and asked me why politely.

Hi, studentyoung, good to see you. But, why do you use "thanks" ? I think you should take thanks rather give thanks when you help others.

I know that he is a Chinese, so I replied

是这样的,人家要是不问那个问题,可能我一辈子都不会动脑子去想那个问题的答案。人家问了,那是给我机会让我去思考啊!所以我得感谢人家给我个机会,让我去发现,让我去思考啊!:-)

啊,我忘了啊,看到你在坛上,我也挺高兴的。呵呵!——Have a good day!

Clear?

Thanks!

Your explanation is clear, but what you might not realise, is that to a native speaker, sometimes it can come across as if you are being a bit arrogant and dismissive.

Ooop! I'm sorry for that!

是这样的,人家要是不问那个问题,可能我一辈子都不会动脑子去想那个问题的答案。人家问了,那是给我机会让我去思考啊!所以我得感谢人家给我个机会,让我去发现,让我去思考啊!:-)

啊,我忘了啊,看到你在坛上,我也挺高兴的。呵呵!——Have a good day!

The fact is that if others don’t ask me that question, maybe I won’t bother to consider it for my life time. If they ask, they give me a chance to use my brain. Therefore I must say thanks to those who give me a chance to think and discover!:-)

Ah, I almost forgot to tell you something. It is so nice to meet you on the forum,too. Hehe!——Have a good day!

Thanks!

Your explanation is clear, but what you might not realise, is that to a native speaker, sometimes it can come across as if you are being a bit arrogant and dismissive.
Ooop! I'm sorry for that!
I meant saying saying thanks at the end of each post, not the fact that you'd written in Chinese.

Studentyoung I really appreciate the thoughts behind why you do what you do, but just as those of us studying Chinese should be attempting to speak according to the accustomed way of the native speaker, it would probably be good for you too. Your input is so valuable but we are only accustomed to saying thanks after we ask a question or if someone has answered ours. I cannot tell you to do or not do it but this may be something to consider. :D

I cannot tell you to do or not do it but this may be something to consider

Something else for you to consider is ... keep your own individual style. I don't think "Thanks!" comes across as arrogant, especially they way you use it on every post. Keep doing it. It's unique and, maybe because of the exclamation mark, actually seems quite friendly.

Cheers!

I didn't mean to imply it was always coming across as arrogant or dismisive in every instance that studentyoung uses it, just that sometimes in English, when you add thanks to the end of something you've said (and especially before you've given the listener time to respond) it's usage can be that you expect the listener to do as you've suggested.

Like you, I'm also accustomed to seeing it at the end of all of studentyoung's posts, so I know that's not her intention. I was merely pointing out a reason why some people might not like it.

i'm certainly not picking on studentyoung! but i must admit the 'thanks!' at the end of every post is annoying! imron has explained the reasons (even though he may not feel that way himself). it seems dismissive and arrogant EVEN though i know you don't mean it that way studentyoung! but respect the fact that it gets intepreted that way. I don't mind if you keep saying it though!!! i don't want to be a spoil sport. in fact im happy if you do keep saying it because it's how i've come to know you! it's true these forums don't have a culture of bagging other posters which is really good. i'm saying it in a friendly way. and i apologise to the fellow who doesn't like my avatar. i don't know why though. two friendly policeman watching over your posts!

and i apologise to the fellow who doesn't like my avatar. i don't know why though. two friendly policeman watching over your posts!

"the fellow"* wrote what she wrote for the sake of argument. I think I saw the exact same picture on a poster (the front page of a magazine I think) that was on glass door, about two or three weeks ago - I think it was a cafe or something; I didn't go back to the place to check it out.

* : let me tell you that you sound extremely rude to me.

i don't want to be a spoil sport.

Neither do I. So for the sake of...let's say Honesty, you might agree with me that post#2 is not only helpful but in fact the best suggestion we have so far in this thread :

不能像发扑克牌*一样发名片,每次只在两个人之间交换。

Please don’t exchange your business cards like dealing cards out. Please exchange the cards between only you two (or two persons) at a time.

Please don't hand out your business cards as if you were dealing cards out, but exchange them with one person at a time.

Muyongshi said,

Studentyoung I really appreciate the thoughts behind why you do what you do, but just as those of us studying Chinese should be attempting to speak according to the accustomed way of the native speaker, it would probably be good for you too. Your input is so valuable but we are only accustomed to saying thanks after we ask a question or if someone has answered ours. I cannot tell you to do or not do it but this may be something to consider. :D

Adrianlondon said,

Something else for you to consider is ... keep your own individual style. I don't think "Thanks!" comes across as arrogant, especially they way you use it on every post. Keep doing it. It's unique and, maybe because of the exclamation mark, actually seems quite friendly.

Cheers!

Myrain said,

Honesty, you might agree with me that post#2 is not only helpful but in fact the best suggestion we have so far in this thread :

Sorry, I think I’m a bit late, for I seldom use computer at night, or I should have replied a bit earlier. First of all, muyongshi, adrianlondon and myrain, thank you so much for all your thoughtful kind words! I think it is cultural shock again. It is nothing new to me, especially on this forum. It shocks us, while it gives us chances to know each other deeper, if we can handle it properly. However, it takes time, patience,

Imron said,

I didn't mean to imply it was always coming across as arrogant or dismisive in every instance that studentyoung uses it, just that sometimes in English, when you add thanks to the end of something you've said (and especially before you've given the listener time to respond) it's usage can be that you expect the listener to do as you've suggested.

Oh, that counts for it. Sigh ~ ~! OK, in order to avoid unnecessary misunderstanding, I’ll turn “thanks” to “thank you!” or “Cheers!”

Thank you!

(今天太忙了,都要断气了。呼 ~ ~ !)

Well, if you must have a catch-word, my vote would be for Cheers. Thanks and thank-you are much the same.

"Cheers" is exactly the same as "thanks", at least in the UK. Perhaps a little bit less formal, but the meaning is the same.