Chinese-Forums

Usage of thanks.

md1101

If you can convince me that all the posts in this thread are somehow essential to exchanging business cards, I could always move them back :D

Anyway, I know it kind of takes your first post out of context, but at the same time, it means the discussion doesn't clutter up the other thread.

Something else for you to consider is ... keep your own individual style. I don't think "Thanks!" comes across as arrogant, especially they way you use it on every post. Keep doing it. It's unique and, maybe because of the exclamation mark, actually seems quite friendly.

I agree with AdrianLondon in the above quote. However, when I first saw “Thanks!” it was at the end of a post in a hotly debated thread, and I thought it had the sound of a door slamming. Something like the passive-aggressive, “and have a nice day (mumble, mumble).” Later I realized that this was, in fact, nothing other than the expression of a unique signature style. Then I started finding it to be charming. Now, if I don’t see “Thanks!” I’ll start to think that something is wrong and possibly offensive. So, please, StudentYoung, keep the “Thanks!”

And … Thanks!

-----------------------

ps -- it would be nice to have a "studentyoung exclamation mark" in the Smilies (there's only one in the Post Icons).

hehehe.. I have been laughing for days. You guys are the best!

One of the greatest difficulties i have with speaking Chinese are those phrases that come as an automatic response. I just can't remember, does "不客气“ answer "谢谢“ or “对不起”? I've opted for "不用谢“ to avoid some of the problem, and hopefully to avoid a similar offense as we have here.

my vote would be for Cheers

As treasurer of a community group, I used to end my reports "Cheers.... Jonas", until someone objected, "Why should we cheer Jonas?"

I manage a public building, and the other night had a group of drama students hire the venue. I was explaining that it was better if they didn't leave staples in the carpet, as they may lodge in a child's bare feet. I picked up staples one by one and handed them one of the students. Instead of saying something like, "oh yes, I see what you mean, that could cause a nasty puncture wound," with each staple he said "That's alright". It really threw me. I didn't expect him to say 'sorry', but the truth is, I felt he was upturning the hierarchy, dis-acknowledging my authority. Well, my imagined authority at least.

If Studentyoung weren't so delightfully adamant, so joyfully bullish, I doubt the 'thanks' would be open to misinterpretation. Should we ask her to be less self-assured? Less positive? Less grateful to particpate in a democratic institution?

I'm late replying to this thread, it probably all over. But I think it is important because I have regularly found Chinese participants are howled down, or made light of, for misuse of English - or for some cultural quirk. I have tried to track them and it seems they arrive full of enthusiasm and then disappear after being taunted. If it wasn't for Studentyoung's strange postiveness, I am sure she too would have given up ages ago.

Cheers... Jonas.

Or should that be 'Cheers... Studentyoung".

Blast it... Cheers all of you!

Oh, Jonas.

Haven't the slightest idea what this means, but found it comforting in a strange sort of way!

Sorry if that's not what you intended :D

Reminded me of a comment a friend of mine made. I used to make out cheques like this "one hundred dollars please". I thought it was kinda funny at the time. When I handed this kind of cheque to a friend he just said, "Oh, Jonas". Seemed it explained a lot about me.

Didn't mean to come down too heavy on any side of this debate. Just thought that the word 'thankyou' is loaded with status-related meaning and wanted to flesh some of that out. I can understand how an unofficial honorific like 'thankyou' can cause such a storm. Studentyoung seems well aware of the quirkiness of it's use; I hadn't given it so much thought 'til now.

I remember in John Updike's 'Rabbit Run' the mistress of the house takes the maid outside to look at the beautiful night sky. The maid says something like, "I knew she wanted me to say something. I knew it was 'thankyou'."

After posting, I thought some more about the word 'cheers'. It really suits Australians because it incorporates the egalitarian myth. Equals can say 'cheers'. Also, some lecturers have warned students not to call them 'mate'. I call them 'boss'.

Using "dear so-and-so" at the beginning of letters seems a bit odd, doesn't it? Especially if you are writing to some government department. However, in writing to my Chinese friends, 'give my regards to your family (who have never clapped eyes on me)' is getting easier and easier.

Love Jonas :wink:

What context are you referring to?
It's out of context because md1101 didn't just start a thread by himself telling studentyoung to stop staying thanks. His initial post came shortly after a post studentyoung had made. Anyway, if you have issue with this (or any other given instance of) moderation and wish to discuss it further, please do so via PM or email, there's no need to create yet another separate conversation in this thread.
However, when I first saw “Thanks!” it was at the end of a post in a hotly debated thread, and I thought it had the sound of a door slamming.
Yes, putting thanks (and for future reference, also cheers) at the end of that kind of post is almost certainly contrary to the meaning that studentyoung has said she means to convey, and has the potential to cause misunderstandings.

While I definately don't want to stamp on anyone's individuality, at the same time, I think it's also important for studentyoung to realise that her choice of words might sometimes be conveying a meaning she doesn't intend.

Think about it this way. If as a learner of Chinese you had starting using a phrase that seemed polite, but that in some situations came across as "the sound of a door slamming", would you want people to point that out to you, or would you prefer to continue along without knowing, and then unintentionally causing misunderstandings?

Yes, putting thanks (and for future reference, also cheers) at the end of that kind of post is almost certainly contrary to the meaning that studentyoung has said she means to convey, and has the potential to cause misunderstandings.

And these misunderstanding becomes all the more likely as this is all written...no body language or tone to help quell those thoughts.

Think about it this way. If as a learner of Chinese you had starting using a phrase that seemed polite, but that in some situations came across as "the sound of a door slamming", would you want people to point that out to you, or would you prefer to continue along without knowing, and then unintentionally causing misunderstandings?

As I said early it is about this...how we would or we would not use it.... Many of our great Chinese friends (as well as other non-native english speaking friends) come here for to improve English as well. So we are learner's here on this site and we all need to be ready to learn. If a person so chooses to continue using xxxx after they have been told about the correct/incorrect usage then that is their choice and we no longer can say anything about it and it becomes a style thing. But in our style we also need to be considerate of others.

luobot, imron, muyongshi. you've put in words what i meant with my initial blunt one liner of "stop saying thanks!". it probably came across as a bit rude considering its over text as well. but i meant it in a friendly way like you would say to one of your mates with a smile. i was intending on explaining if you asked 'why', studentyoung, but looks like it was covered for me. i also copped a bit for it though so i might be a little more explanatory next time.