Chinese-Forums

BOTM November 2007,《雷雨》

imron

I'm not sure what the deeper meaning of the scene is, but I think it shows very much the power that 周朴园 holds over his household, and that the 周 household is still a very traditional (i.e. feudal) one. This is quite an important thing to note, especially when placed in the context of what was happening in society at the time, with a strong movement to break away from traditional/feudal society.

I myself am familiar with 雷雨,not 球状闪电
Not to worry, you still have another month to finish reading it :mrgreen:

I totally agree with Imron, you said it very well. It's difficult for me to express this meaning in English, but you just helped me out! Thanks!

On the other hand, it also shows that the wife is not a traditional Chinese wife who is surposed to listen to the husband totally. She was influenced by the outside world, she wanted to revolt the feudal power, but did not succeed eventually. Again, this also shows "a strong movement to break away from traditional/feudal society" at the time.

Imron, 你让我刮目相看了!