Chinese-Forums

How long does to take to progress through HSK?

Paradox

Hi all,

I know it will be different for everyone but I'm trying to get an idea of how far I can progress through HSK (starting as a total beginner) by studying Mandarin in Beijing for a year.

I heard in other posts that in 1 year its 'average' to progress 3 stages. Is this about right? I know compared to my current level it is a good basic standard, but I would like to aim for higher if possible. But that leads me to my second question, do the 1 year courses at BLCU, Normal, Peking & Tsinghua 'only' aim to be at the HSK 3 standard or, if students have progressed enough, will they be allocated to different classes allowing them to progress faster?

My last question is which of the four places mentioned above would be the most focussed on learning. I don't mean that in a patronising way but I would guess some places will have a different intensity on studies.

Thanks for your help in answering my questions!

Daniel

I took the HSK basic last year after 1 year of study at a Swedish university, scoring almost 100%, that is a 3. Judging from this I think if you study efficiently in Beijing for a year and take the intermediate test you will have no trouble passing it achieving a 4 or 5. I am taking the test again the 25th after having studied in Beijing (Beiwai and Beishida) for about 5 months, I suppose I am aiming for a 7 or possible an 8.

I am now studying at Beijing Normal University and highly recommend it if you want efficient learning and a heavy workload. You will take a placement test as you arrive and be placed into one of 9 levels. If you think your class is too easy you will have an opportunity to test into a higher one, if you do very well during a semester you will also have the opportunity to skip levels for the next one. Since I haven't studied at any of the other universities you asked about I can't compare, but judging from rumours I would avoid BLCU.

• 1 month later...