Chinese-Forums

HSK Online Searchable Vocabulary Database now in Beta Test

roddy

It's here and there's instructions on how to use it there.

At the moment it's a lot less functional than it will be eventually - there are no English meanings or parts of speech information at the moment - just the characters and pinyin (in a choice of tone marks or numbers :clap ) and only 1000 vocab items (HSK level one)

Would really appreciate any advice on what you'd like it to be able to do, what you do / don't like about it, etc. The basic function is just to chuck out word lists, but once you've got a word list making it searchable isn't that difficult, so I did that. By the time it's done it should function as a very basic dictionary as well . . .

Currently, the pinyin tone marks are showing fine for me - but I'm on Chinese XP. If they don't, use the numbers, or see if this page will help.

Roddy

Roddy

I can't see what use it would be though :help (not being rude, I just can't see what use it would be - I've already got this list, and converting it between UTF-8 and GB shouldn't be a problem)

If you have any of the subsequent lists though, that might be very handy. Email them to admin@ . . . :mrgreen:

Roddy

Ah, I thought you meant it might be useful as it was GB encoding . . .

What's the original file format? If it's something that will allow me to separate out the word classes it might be helpful . . .

Roddy

very nice, good job!

I think for the moment the best improvement would be to just add more vocabulary. Later, when you have time, english translations would be nice...and perhaps a random quizzing function?

Yeah, getting more vocab in there is the priority right now. I did some of level 2 yesterday and was disappointed to find a lot of vocab I didn't know - I think I might abandon my idea of getting it all typed in and do it myself for learning purposes - it'll slow things down, but I think it might be useful for myself. I'd kind of assumed I knew all the level 2 stuff :oops:

Roddy

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, just got levels 1-3 in - over 5000 vocab items. You can do all the old searches, plus now narrow it down by HSK level. Next step is to get level 4 in, then the word class and English, then look at what I can do to improve the search function and give different output options. Comments and corrections are welcome, as always.

Roddy

Geek - that's what I'm doing. The typing is going into Excel, then saved as a comma seperated variable file, opened and resaved as UTF-8 with textpad and then imported to a MySQL database via PHPmyAdmin.

Trevelyan - You might want to wait until the 4th (and final?) level is up there, and maybe the word class and English as well. 4th level should be there by the end of the month, maybe sooner. The rest, I don't know.

Roddy

Geek - that's what I'm doing. The typing is going into Excel, then saved as a comma seperated variable file, opened and resaved as UTF-8 with textpad and then imported to a MySQL database via PHPmyAdmin.

saving in UTF-8? hmmm i never thought about that... thanks!! ^_^ cheers.

Excellent job!

I reviewed the level 1 list and had the following comments:

往 Some dictionaries have the prepositional meaning (to, towards) pronounced wang4 rather than wang3 (the ABC has wang3, the Cihai and Jiaotong dictionaries list it as wang4). Both ways are probably OK.

姓 has a typo in the pronunciation

My HSK word list book from the year 2000 had the word 文件 in the level 1 list. It didn't have 录音. I found some mistakes in my book, so this may just be one of them.

FYI, it also listed a few alternate words next to some official words. I don't think it matters, but here they are "official/alternate"

法语/法文

日语/日文

外语/外文

英语/英文

星期日/星期天

那里/那儿

I hope to be able to look through the other lists later this week

Thanks for those. For the alternatives (法语,发文,etc) I decided to have only one item of each at the moment because having two would either mess up my indexing or my searching. They'll go in when I can figure out how to get them in easily.

The typos and omissions I'll check when I get a chance. I'm just working off the list I have (2002 I think) and my list is only as good as that one (if not worse due to my own errors)

Roddy

Here's what I have so far from reviewing list 2.

Probable wrong characters (correct/incorrect):

北面/背面

逼/逋

当做/当作

底下/低下

吨/顿

狗/够

光辉/关徽

极其/及其

记录/纪录

桨/奖

年青/年轻

平方/平房

坡/破

实验/试验

实用/使用

眼镜/眼睛

遇/逾

直到/指导

中药/重要

坐班/做伴

鼻子 pronunciation

My book has 磨 rather than 摩

I didn't didn't do a full check on the pronunciations, just the characters.

I also have a few extra words not in your list. I reluctant to mention them because I'm not sure of the book's accuracy. Hope this helps.