Chinese-Forums

Do you avoid speaking English? How?

optical

As I'm sure most of you have experienced at some point or another, (assuming you are visibly or otherwise obviously foreign) random people will come up to you and try to use English with you. I'm personally a pretty die hard learner and I do everything I can to avoid speaking English with Chinese people unless it's a special circumstance or they are my friend trying to study English, etc.

So what I'm curious about is, if you don't want to speak English with someone, what do you personally do to get them to stop using it with you? I've tried a few techniques with varying degrees of success:

1. "Please speak Chinese" - Ask them directly, in Chinese, to speak Chinese with you.

2. "I don't speak English" - Lie and say you are from Germany, France, etc, and don't speak English

3. Answer them in Chinese even if they keep speaking in English

4. "Shenme?" Just keep saying this until they use Chinese

So if someone approaches you and starts using English, what do you prefer to do to switch things over to speaking in Chinese? I'm not really looking for advice or corrections here, I'm just curious what you all like to do. :wink:

3. Answer them in Chinese even if they keep speaking in English

Like muyongshi, this is the one I use.

I decided long ago that it is not really very honest to lie and say you are from a non-English speaking country if that is not the case, although I can see why people would. I also don't think it's very culturally sensitive to play games with people who may not have much experience talking to foreigners. (Of course, that is not to deny the uncomfortableness of being "English Cornered" by some diehard "Crazy English" cultist).

As a former English teacher, I emphasized to my (usually shy) students thousands of times that they should be courageous, and try to talk to foreigners if they want to strike up a conversation. So, I would hope that the hypothetical foreigner would be friendly to them.

To advocate to my students that they should be brave and should strike up conversations while pretending to be a stand off-ish businessman from Belarus, or something like that, would be fairly hypocritical. But then again, if I were an exchange student paying good money to learn Chinese in China, I might feel differently about my obligations.

So, if someone really wants to speak English, I'd let them, after a few stabs at strategy #3

Another viable option, I suppose, would be to tell them why you only want to speak Chinese. Tell them that you have a language pledge, or you want to make the most out of your time in China by speaking as much as possible, or you want to only speak Chinese, because by doing so you can better understand the culture, or whatever. Maybe if they understand your reasonings, they'll be more willing to speak Chinese.

Most days I am "Russian", but I don't think that makes me evil or unfriendly.

First of all, there are some days when I feel like if I have to answer, "Do you like China?" or "Do you like the NBA?" one more time, I might have to kill someone. To save innocent lives, I simply (politely) pretend to be Russian. No one knows the wiser and no "games" are played. No harm no foul, right?

Secondly, I never liked small talk with strangers even when I was in my own country. I never saw the point of striking up a conversation with someone you will probably never see again. Its just not my thing. Is my personality supposed to magically change just because I am a foreigner in China? Because the Chinese want to practice English, I need to become an outgoing and talkative guy? I think not.

Personally, I think pretending to be Russian is kinder than forcing yourself to muddle through a conversation you really wouldn't want to be having. The Chinese person in question would probably see on your face that you would rather be running your testicles through a juicer than having that (SAME OLD) conversation with him/her and might take it personally. If you are "Russian", then it isn't anything personal against the Chinese person, you just don't speak English. This is applicable both if you want to practice your Chinese or if you just don't feel like answering the same questions for the 10,000,000th time.

Also, it works in reverse when you don't want to answer "你是哪国人?“ for the umpteenth time. In my opinion, one of the best things about China is being able to avoid small talk by feigning ignorance. I really see no reason to give up that luxury.

I'd usually use 3, but sometimes have used 4.

I simply (politely) pretend to be Russian.
Where I used to live, there would be loads of Russian tourists during the summer. Due to this, walking down the street, quite often I'd get people coming up to me and speaking Russian :mrgreen: Thankfully I could quite honestly reply I didn't understand a word.

I use to do it, saying that i was not a native english speaker, and my english was 'lame'! but, now i just say politely to speak chinese with me when someone speak in english!

After, personally i cannot avoid it, im doing a MA taught in english in fudan, so ive got english everyday! :(

The other day I went swimming and swam in the wrong pool where a lesson was going on. The coach said NO, NO, and I asked him in Chinese whether this pool was just for people taking a lesson, but he just kept saying NO, NO, in English. That sort of thing annoys me. Basic courtesy is to come and explain to you in the language of the country "I'm afraid you can't stay here, you must go there". That annoys me more than anyone trying to practise a few sentences.

People often seem to complain about having to speak English with Chinese people, but personally I have never considered it as much of a problem.

I, like a previous respondent, don't like to be dishonest or play games with people, even if it is supposedly harmless. My strategy is the third, to always respond in Chinese even if they speak English. Usually, the person will quickly switch to Chinese, and then there is no issue. If they insist on speaking English, fine, I will continue speaking Chinese (if I'm not in the mood to indulge them), and sooner or later they will lose interest and disappear anyway.

Having said that, in my experience, most strangers who try to strike up a conversation with me is because they want to talk with a foreigner, and not necessarily just to practise English. So in a way, it is a relief for them that they can chat with the foreigner in their own language.

However, I must concur with Mandarinstudent. I am not really into small-talk either, and do not especially appreciate being approached by strangers. If it's a pretty girl, then I'll go along with it. If on the other hand it's some annoying guy, then whilst I wouldn't go as far as running my testicles through a juicer to avoid the conversation, I think my lack of enthusiasm usually gets the message across anyway.

It's true - all the local Chinese really want is to talk to a foreigner, especially a very white one and they are usually terrified when it comes to speaking English anyway, so the chances of practising Chinese through small talk are present on a daily basis. That's what we all came here for, right? Now imagine what it's like being a (pretty) white woman all alone in China, with no friends at all. All you get is 'Hello' s from male characters of dubious intentions, the rest are so polite, so kind (yes, they are, in GZ city ) they make you feel so good, but so lonely. The xenophobia is still too strong. And I don' t see the point in saying you are Russian to avoid speaking English, I personally know Russians and other foreigners who can speak good English. So, better avoid offending people on national basis. It's the same as being called 'gwailou' to your face just because you are not yellow.

I usually go for option 3 as well, but not for long. Once I realize that they want to practice their English, I'll switch to it. It makes me happier to help them with something they rarely have the opportunity to do than to reiterate in Chinese why I came to China and how long I've been studying for the 200th time.

And I don' t see the point in saying you are Russian to avoid speaking English, I personally know Russians and other foreigners who can speak good English. So, better avoid offending people on national basis. It's the same as being called 'gwailou' to your face just because you are not yellow.

How can someone pretending that he/she can't speak English offend people on a "national basis"? You get offended when you meet a non-Chinese that can't speak English? How could you possibly know if they are pretending or not? I really don't see the parallel to "gwailou" at all. That doesn't make sense.

• 1 month later...

My chinese level is still pretty low, but I do #3 for as long as I can handle it. Eventually maybe I can't understand their chinese, so we switch to english or I try to keep using a combination, though it's difficult.

I also have a new one for when someone outright says "Can I speak english with you for a while?" I say in chinese, "Sorry, after work (or insert current time here) is chinese time", with a smile. I give off a happy smiley good-student vibe and keep walking.

I use taxi rides as a chance to practice chinese; the drivers almost never speak english.

And like the swimming pool "NO NO" comment - I also can't stand it when I've just spoken some chinese perfectly fine, but the other person still treats me like I can't possibly understand a word. Especially when they're speaking chinese to me but I didn't quite get it so they shout it at me, as if I'm deaf.

CASHIERS - there's one girl in a store near me who says the total for everyone but me. Even though I ask how much, and answer "meiyou" when she asks if I have a card (before she realizes I'm white) when she looks up and sees my face she gets dead silent and turns the display toward me and hits it with her hand to show me the total, not saying a word.

You certainly make a good point here2learn regarding cashiers and the whole pointing thing. The only defense I've found against this is to immediately try to say something in Chinese. I have found this is a lot more effective with sales assistants in the mall than people in a checkout line who are probably just rushing.

Just remember that even if you speak totally awesome Chinese with someone, it's quite likely that they will still try to use English with you. It's takes some getting used to, but if you stop and try to realize that they are probably trying to learn English and any opportunity to use it outside of a classroom is one they are going to take it doesn't feel like it's insulting.

As an example, I needed to buy some new shoelaces so I walked into a store and the person just started staring at me "deer vs. headlights" eyes, paralyzed with fear apparently, so I started by asking my question, I need to buy new shoelaces, do you have them? The crazy eyes disappeared and the person said that they don't have any at this store. So I said no problem, see you later. As I am walking out, the person suddenly says "I'm sorry!" in English. So as you can see, all of the relevant dialog was done in Chinese, but this particular shop assistant just wanted to be able to say something in English.

And as a final note, if any random stranger walks up to me and out of nowhere says "Can I practice English with you?" My answer will always be "I don't speak English". :roll:

I used to try to avoid speaking English myself but since trying to be a little more dedicated to learning Chinese I can understand the need to use it (it being a language you're learning) in a practical situation; so I'll usually have the same conversation for the 100th time because I know I'm helping someone out.

Also the cashier example brought up by here2learn is one of the most annoying things in the world. It's one thing if nothing was said; I can understand the assumption that it's best to point raher then speak. But when you say something clearly (and you know you've said it clearly because the person beside you repeats it for you), and they still point to a menu (or whatever) it's just makes me want to punch them in the head.

I'm still deciding how to handle this. Right now I'm thinking of just ignoring the area she's pointing to and saying "how much is it". It's almost a given that they'll point to the price again, or hold up some fingers to indicate the price. I should learn some phrases to counter this. "I didn't see that, can you say the price ot me?" (say that even if you looked right at her hand).

"Do you know how to speak? I saw you say the price to that person. Did you forget how to speak Chinese that quickly?"

The worst is going to a restaurant/store/etc. My wife is Chinese so when I ask a question a lot of time the person will turn to my wife to answer the question. Right now I let it slide because my Chinese isn't good enough for it (speaking up about the rudeness), but when it is better I'm really going to lay into them.

Right now I let it slide because my Chinese isn't good enough for it (speaking up about the rudeness), but when it is better I'm really going to lay into them.
Perhaps when your Chinese is better, they'll respond to you directly :wink:. Seriously though, surely there are nicer ways to deal with the situation? It's not like the poor fuwuyuan is purposely going out of their way to be rude to you.

I use taxi rides as a chance to practice chinese; the drivers almost never speak english.

And nearly all are out of city and have interesting stories. If not, car reliability is always a good topic, or dangers to taxis. My favorite topic is linguistics, specially since nearly nobody in China seem to speak Mandarin as first language.

Shop assistants are very good for small talk too.

And nearly all are out of city and have interesting stories. If not, car reliability is always a good topic, or dangers to taxis.

Another great topic with taxi drivers is talking about how their English learning is going. They're all supposed to be learning it for the olympics, but every taxi driver I've spoken to about this has complained about how it's a stupid idea and how they have no time to learn, and how it's not really necessary anyway because they say that the foreigners they carry can either speak enough chinese, or they have the address of where they want to go written down in Chinese.