Chinese-Forums

Beida -

dncdoor

Nearing on 10 days since I discovered this forum and thus far I have not been able to find a thread/post solely related to Beida. I would like to know what Beida is like for teaching etc. I am in my second semester at Jiaotong University in Shanghai and have found my experiences there to be pretty mixed.

NB: I would prefer not to be berated by the 高手's on this website. If you could direct me as to what the best posts are relating to this query I would be most grateful.

Well the Jiaotong Uni at Shanghai is very well known. In reality, you are likely to find teaching mixed all over China, with the possible exception of one or two courses like Princeton in Beijing andd things like that. But the onus is on you to learn what is presented in class. The class is only a start. The real study starts elsewhere.

Josh, I am well aware of how much personal study you must dedicate to learning Chinese. I have been here for exactly one year and have gone from 初二级to 中三级in only one and a half semesters at Jiaotong. Largely due to my spending at least 3 hours every single day writing out 汉字,reading Newspapers etc.

However, this isn't the point....I would like to hear people's points of view on BEIDA and how it compares to other Universities in Beijing. I would like to spend the spring semester of next year in Beijing as I see this as a suitable way to polish off my time learning Mandarin in China....

So what does everyone think?

I am sure someone will give you the direct answer to your question you are looking for. I don't know the answer. But there is a forum with good stickies all about studying in Beijing. I think the overall opinion is that Beijing Normal University is the best one to go for.

Beida and Tsinghua tend not to get so much coverage on here, as they seem to get most of their foreign students via programs run by overseas universities, rather than independent applications. As such, their students tend not to turn up here looking for advice, visa information and so on, and therefore are less likely to post feedback later on. That's how it seems to me, at least.

If you've done plenty of searching - Beida, PKU, Beijing University, Peking University and any other combinations you can think of - then there's not much more you can do as far as this site goes, bar hoping for an actual Beida student to turn up.

• 1 month later...

Bumping the original question up ^

In addition, I would like to know how much average accommodation costs in the Beida area:-

#Renting one room, within a 2 or 3 bedroom apartment;

#Doesn't have to be really westernised, just clean;

#Prefer to live with Chinese people.

Will 1,000 RMB p/month suffice?

You might find some of the posts in the accommodation thread useful. This one talks about a rented room, and I think quite accurately sums up accommodation in and around Wudaokou (located slightly east from Beida):

I had a real tough time finding a place in Wudaokou so cheap. I was taken around by a snaky agent and also looked at online classifieds and soon realized that the average price for an apartment around Wudaokou is about 1500rmb/month which will get you a pretty shitty apartment. But I was in luck when I found this place on the net. I was expecting it to be terrible, but it's actually quite comfortable. 1050rmb/month is by far the cheapest I've found, so I'm very happy with it.
1,000 RMB a month is not impossible, but if you're making a budget 1,500 will be a safer figure.

I'm not sure what the accommodation situation is like to the north/west/south of Beida.

• 1 month later...

My little testimony

Beida (Peking University), Spring 2008-02-19

I should start by mentioning that my benchmark for judging studying Chinese is the two semesters that I spent at Shanghai Jiaotong University during 2007. If anyone would like any information as regards my time spent there please contact me.

8 days ago, that’s when I arrived in Beijing to commence my half a year in China’s capital. My aim for this semester is to correct some of those Southern China habits which I have attained whilst at the same time adding a few r’s to every sentence.

The application process began at the beginning of November, 07 at which time Beida required all those interested to post their applications with the skill & luck that the International Office would receive all necessary documentation on one specified day. One day late would mean no joy!! I estimate that around 90% of the students enrolled on varying mandarin courses at Peking are party to exchange programmes (most hailing from USA). CIEE also have their foot in the door to provide those students with no gumption or know how with help in the application process.

On Thursday of last week, those wanting to enrol on the short term language course had to register with Ms Huang & co at the Shao Yuan building on campus. This included paying the semesters tuition. The information pack provided by the University is very useful, further complimented with free tickets to see Beijing Opera, Acrobatics and a trip to Tiananmen amongst other activities. On Day two we had to take a placement test which consisted of 4 parts; Listening (which also represented your Spoken level), Reading, Grammar and a freehand section. The grammar was a little taxing for me as although I could recognise all characters, I felt that I was inept at being able to distinguish those words which are clearly synonyms. Day three we were placed into the relevant Hanyu and Kouyu class and collected are teaching materials. Day 4: Timetable.

Classes started yesterday: Hanyu class (Gao 1). My teacher is really well prepared and at age 26 is full of the necessary energy required to stimulate ones mind at 8am (yes Beida’s morning classes are at 8AM!). I met my Kouyu teacher today who is also very well prepared and is keen to make sure that students talk as much as possible in class. NB: All teaching materials are Peking University press such as the Boya Grammar textbooks.

On Thursday I will be attending the lecture during the afternoon which will direct us foreign friends as to what Optional courses are up for grabs and when such classes will transpire.

General feeling:

*Beida’s campus is fantastic;

*Food really cheap and tasty;

*Service provided professional and friendly;

*Opportunity to speak is plentiful;

*Lots of USA expats;

*Bad points include: Extra fee for library card and usage of public computers;

*Extra fee for Lunch card;

*Lack of halls on site for lao wai;

*Classes (as ever) could have fewer students. We have 15 registered students in our Kouyu class;

*Lack of Korean and Japanese students which means that English is always lingering in the background.

• 1 month later...

I received this message----------------^

Hi there,

I just stumbled upon your post because I was trying to find some feedback on Shanghai Jiaotong University. I'm trying to narrow down my choices, and that's one of my top picks for Shanghai -- do you have thoughts, suggestions, advice? I was attracted to Jaiotong because I heard the location was right in the center of the city

I'll be going to learn Mandarin for a year...did you end up taking Mandarin courses for the two semesters you were there? How did you like it? Why did you end up switching to Beijing? Anything thoughts you have, will be GREATLY appreciated---I'm having a hard time finding quality info

Thanks,

MY REPLY:

As far as location is concerned Jiaotong is the winner, that is if you like shopping, convenience, busy City life. If you are looking for a campus feel then head to Fudan which is relatively far removed from SH CBD.

The teaching at Jiaotong is yi ban yi ban....by this I mean some teachers are really able and others are pants. It really depends on which level you are entering at. I would say that if you are CHU/Beginners class then Jiaotong will be perfect for you. The intermediate teaching staff is on the whole so-so. The upper band Gao3 is supposedly really worthwhile. If you really really want to learn Mandarin then I would say come to Beida as the intensity is what is required for true Mandarin progression.

If you do decide to go to Jiaotong I would be more than willing to help you in regards to different teachers, housing etc... ;)

I've had some conflicting advice lately: some are telling me that you can't enter Beida as a raw beginner? While others they you can?

So...do take beginners? I mean, I'd assume they'd have a basic Mandarin classes...but seeing as you're there, perhaps you have more insight into this...

You must make a declaration that you are able to recognise at least 800 characters. However, I have met a fair number of those in the beginners class who could barley recognise 50 characters at the start of term. Therefore, when you make your application you must declare that you are able to handle 800 words, though in the meantime you can put in a couple of months hard graft to get yourself up to scratch....

Yes, you are still able to apply to Beida. As is always the case in China, there is a solution.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello dncdoor!

can i as you how is it going at peking? what are the difference with jiao tong?

do you have also feedback from UCL and tsinghua?

Thank you!!! (i tryied to send you an e-mail but ur settings do not allow that!)

see you soon! (i will be in china from july till january)

pietro