Chinese-Forums

ZDT: Annotator Error with 说

flameproof

When you use the Annotator 说 will be translated to "shui4". Which is maybe not outright wrong, however, in most cases it should be "shuo1".

It's not a ZDT problem, rather a CEDICT DB problem. But for those which use the Annotator function often certainly a nuisance.

Solution: the technical knowledgeable can open die CEDICT file and just swap the two entries.

There are tens if not hundreds of characters that have multiple pronunciation; how should ZDT handle them? Putting the most common one first is probably a good idea, and for many characters that will probably be good enough. But what about 相, 調, 重, 長, 者, and 得 in which the multiple pronunciations are common?

See http://www.fudao100.cn/Article_Print.asp?ArticleID=4786 for example.

Another thought. I have come across several entries in the CEDICT dictionary that I think may be wrong; they are typically either duplicate entries, or there is a definition that belongs to a related entry. [e.g. for 丼 it gives a definition as 'well'; I believe that is not correct as 井 means well.] Is there a way to correct them?

jbradfor

You are of course right. For 话 it's very obvious that the shuo1 should come first, for others you have to check case by case. That's maybe the problem with all automatic translations.

But, what would be cool would a function to make it easier to edit the CEDICT DB. Now I open the cedict.script file with notepad and do a manual editing.

Anyone has a better solution?

I have come across several entries in the CEDICT dictionary that I think may be wrong; they are typically either duplicate entries, or there is a definition that belongs to a related entry. [e.g. for 丼 it gives a definition as 'well'; I believe that is not correct as 井 means well.] Is there a way to correct them?

I'm not sure that I have a better solution but in looking for one, this is what I found:

First, take a look at the following page: MandarinTools

Note that it contains a link for new entries: automated submission page

... and a link to join a mailing list "to discuss issues related to CEDICT, including specific dictionary entries ... as well as possible future directions for the CEDICT project."

-> CEDICT mailing list info page

I believe that ChineseTools of MandarinTools is also a member of this forum.

Additions and corrections via MDBG can be made here.

Here is the MDBG link for improvements.

Finally, you can download the updated version of CEDICT from either MandarinTools or MDBG, and then, I think, there should be a way to import the updated version into ZDT.

Of course, Chris of ZDT is the best one to discuss all this with.

I don't really recommend editing the dictionaries by hand because in the future if I update the dictionary you'll lose all your changes if you're not careful.

I think participating in editing CEDICT is the way to go, and will benefit the whole Chinese learning community in general. I can update the cedict plugin when people request it.

Chris

Luobot, thanks for that information. I'll take a look.

Bogleg (Chris), which version of CEDICT is used in ZDT now? Can I install the latest version? I figure I should ensure I'm using the latest version before I comment on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jeff,

I've just updated the CEDICT plugin to the Nov 26th version of the CEDICT dictionary. The old version was more than a year old I think. It has 55,000 entries which is double the amount of entries as the old version. Just download the new jar file and drop it into your plugins directory and you should be good to go.

Chris

When you use the Annotator 说 will be translated to "shui4". Which is maybe not outright wrong, however, in most cases it should be "shuo1".

Sorry, but 说 could be pronounced as "shui4" as in 说服. I agree it should not be the first choice, but it was not wrong either.

丼 is a very old Chinese character and it does mean "well". Again, it is not wrong, either.

• 4 months later...

Luobot, thanks for the pointers on updating CEDICT entries. As you suggest, I followed the MDBG link. Turns out they make it incredibly easy! Just lookup any word or phrase (http://www.xuezhongwen.net/chindict/chindict.php), and in the results, on the far right in the answer box, is a little pencil-and-paper icon. Just click on it to bring up a form to suggest a correction. Really simple!