Chinese-Forums

Chinese Windows XP

DavidM

I'm desperately looking for a Chinese Version of Windows XP using Traditional Characters. The ones availaible at amazon.cn all use simplified ones. So, does anyone here know about an online store which sells this stuff and also offers shipping to Austria, Europe?

Thanks in advance.

DavidM

Anyone know if a traditional chinese interface language pack of some sort for english windows xp?

I know a guy from Taiwan who unfortunately doesn't speak any English, and his laptop looks like it needs an OS reinstall. The laptop came with English XP but at some point it seems like he got someone to install a traditional chinese version of XP on it, which he doesn't have the install CD ROM for.

> That's the Windows MUI. Under XP, it will install on any

> English Windows XP Professional

Did you download the XP MUI from the Microsoft website?

Last I checked, it was OEM only and wasn't available for download to the general public -- at least not the MUI pack which changes the desktop -- though I see MUI Packs for IE and Media Player.

You can't download it.

You can't buy it as an add-on.

It installs over the English version of Windows XP Professional.

To get it you'll need to contact Microsoft ...

"The Windows XP/2000 MUI is sold only through Volume Licensing programs such as the Microsoft Open License Program (MOLP / Open), Select, and Enterprise agreement (or with a new computer as an OEM version at customer request). It is not available through retail channels."

Maybe I'll contact Dell and see if there's any way to get it from them somehow, even though this isn't a new computer. Of course knowing them they'll connect me to someone in an Indian call center who will want to charge me $30, after which they'll say "ok, let me check..... the answer is no. have a nice day."

I know some IT people with access to VLP contract stuff. Perhaps I'll ask them if they can "demonstrate" it for me sometime.

It believe it has been available (in the past) to Microsoft developers who subscribe to MSDN. Though this subscription is way more expensive than going out and buying an extra retail copy of Chinese Windows.

And, it may no longer be available on the subscription since Vista got released.