Your Chinese breakfast

Myriam

Chinese breakfast  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Chinese breakfast

• bāo 包
    • zhōu 粥
    • miàn 面

You must be in the north, in nanjing there are lots of choices for breakfast including those.

I like xiao mai 小麦, omelette 鸡蛋并, Ma tuan are good too, let's not forget dou jiang

豆浆 soy milk. xian bing, salty flake toast 馅饼。

and the omelette with fried bread in the middle. Just for starters. Delicious.

have fun,

SimoN:)

another write in for jian1bing3 - used to eat it everday until I got tired of it.

recently though: ji1dan4guan1bing3 now that does the trick! Does anyone else eat this?

By the way does anyone actually know the character for that "guan1"? (I know what you're thinking I know write the characters anyway - I know that's just for the benefit of people that don't recognize them -which often includes me! When it comes to food names)

I suppose I could walk out of my office and ask somebody but I won't. I will assume that it is guan1cai de guan1 (as in coffin). That would seem to make sense anyway. Sometimes I just like guessing when the confirmation will come later it will really reinforce it.

I think it's 鸡蛋灌饼. It certainly would not be that popular if it was named after coffins, or any other word related to death.

I like to eat that one too, but sadly, nobody's selling them on my way to work - and as good as they are, I can't be bothered to get up earlier to make a detour! For 煎饼, I'm the same as you - used to eat them religiously for a month or so, then got fed up and haven't had the desire to eat one ever since.

Our assistant who buys it for me insists that it is first tone - but she has been known to make tone mistakes (I've already "won" a lot of money betting her).

Since I picked it up through listening, I can only guess. I guess guan4gai4 de guan4 would make sense. I still think coffin might make sense too, but now I see your point about the relation to death thing.

What they do here is they make a small hole in the pancake thing, put the egg in it so it is kind of buried and sealed if you will. So I don't know.

The old Google rule - of course (remember the MW for apple thread?).

I like the speculation followed by discovery method though.

So corpses (corpsi?) for me in the morning. (not gonna Google it - ha!)

So does anybody love the egg pancake coffins :mrgreen: as much as I do?

So does anybody love the egg pancake coffins as much as I do?
Yeah, I do actually! Of all the 饼 I've had so far, they're my favorite by far. But as I said, normally don't have them for breakfast. Have them for dinner once in a while though (depending on which bus I take, I get off at a different stop in the evening than I get on in the morning; then the vendor is on my way :mrgreen:)