Chinese-Forums

firefox vs ie

sammee

i have tried installing language support for ie with my win2000 disk but it cannot find the files needed and i cant find them easily online

still have to d/l firefox, i like the idea anyway of not using a MS product bad enough i have to use their OS

will post back

sammee

It helps me...It does help speed things up for video capture and high memory usage photo editing...parallels is so expensive!

But back on topic...I think the majority of people use Firefox due to the freeware aspect. We live in a world now where so many freeware programs are just as good if not better than those you pay for. Support might not be as good but freeware allows people to pick what they really will need and want.

I'm using the Chinese version of this one called 'The world'

Quote:

http://www.ioage.com/en/index.htm

And many people in China use Maxthon

What are some pros/cons of these other browsers compared to IE/FF?

From the website for TheWorld:

TheWorld Browser version 2.0 is the second multi-thread frame browser in the world(the first is Internet Explorer 7.0), the multi-threaded window frame can prevent the web pages being out of response

The is a very good reason for me to try it out. But I worry if it is "safe" - being here has made me very cautious about installing stuff...

@cnd_in_bj I guess you've bought a Mac then?

Not yet but I've been debating it for a while and am very close to... The problem is, I can't decide on what to get. First it was the new iMac, then I thought the tiny Mini would be cool and easy to move around (I could bring it to work even). But if I'm considering the Mini, I might as well get a MacBook since it was recently updated. And then there's the new subnotebook rumoured to be announced at Macworld in January...

Yes, I'm one very confused PC user! :)

The is a very good reason for me to try it out.
Not really. As for being first, Opera was doing this back in 2001. In any event, it looks to just be using embedded IE components as it's core, so it's more or less IE in a different wrapping so you'll still be stuck with IE's insecurities. Stick with FF or Opera.

Not really. As for being first, Opera was doing this back in 2001. In any event, it looks to just be using embedded IE components as it's core, so it's more or less IE in a different wrapping so you'll still be stuck with IE's insecurities.

Now that you mention it, it does seem that a lot of these Chinese "homegrown" browsers are in fact just using IE as the core. Another example I can think of is "Green Browser".

I don't actually uninstall MSIE or something but I tend to avoid using it if at all possible. Sounds like in China it's even harder to get by without MSIE, ironically. Seems like they'd be trying to avoid using Microsoft proprietary stuff since MS is American and could just "own" all the computers in China if the US government decided it was necessary, but whatever. It's their sovereignty I guess....

FYI, there's a firefox extension that lets you run an instance of MSIE in a firefox tab, but I find that I doesn't always work in cases were I need MSIE.

As Imron says above ... yes, there may be benefits in moving from IE to Firefox, but you need to fix your font problems first. The one thing IE usually does well is work out code pages and display the relevant fonts.

So it's likely to be your OS which is struggling and Firefox is unlikely to be able to work around that.

Not really. As for being first, Opera was doing this back in 2001. In any event, it looks to just be using embedded IE components as it's core, so it's more or less IE in a different wrapping so you'll still be stuck with IE's insecurities. Stick with FF or Opera.

In January, once KDE4 is released, you will also be able to use Konqueror on Windows and the Mac.

It's another open-source browser, so far mostly used on Unix-like systems. Safari was originally based on the Konqueror rendering engine, though the two have diverged significantly since then.

More choice = better standards compliance = everyone profits.

I'm trying to order something off taobao and as I get to the final stage of confirming the bank transfer I get an error message saying I can't complete the order using anything but IE. But when I open the product page in IE not all of the elements of the page load correctly so I can't complete the order. I hate you, Internet Explorer.

Are you getting a message from IE about an ActiveX control or similar, at the top of the page? The reason lots of Chinese ecommerce / bank sites only use IE is because they rely on IE-specific ActiveX stuff for secure logins.