Chinese-Forums

Lost Xi'an/Chang'an/Shaanxi History?

ElMark

Hey everyone.

I'm doing research to re-discover some of the lesser known & overlooked sites in Xi'an and surrounding areas.

There are 3000 years of recorded history in the immediate Xi'an area...

and people mainly visit the TerraCotta Warriors, Bell Tower, & Drum Tower.

There's a "forgotten" Altar of Heaven nestled in a backalley near a local university.

We took a trip out to the MUCH older city walls of the Han dynasty city.(which are really cool!)

We talked w/ locals about palace sites & artifacts...

Myself and my local Chinese friend are trying to put together some small "alternative" tours for curious western travellers...

We want to reveal the true history of the Xi'an area.

Anyone have any ideas? or know any Shaanxi/Chang'an Experts?

Many thanks!

-Mark

I like your attitude. I'm planning a rather massive China tour in 2008, but because of the Olympics, I won't go to Beijing. That'll have to wait for the next time.

I'm mainly interested in old history, but never the less, for Xi'an, I think there is a kind of municipal museum, commemorating the "incident". I thrive on things that go beyond mainstream tourism.

For comparison, my most cherished memory from Delhi was finding the way to the rock inscription of emperor Ashoka, from somewhere in 273 to 232 BCE. which few people tripping on would recognize as more than a plain piece of rock.

For comparison, my most cherished memory from Delhi was finding the way to the rock inscription of emperor Ashoka, from somewhere in 273 to 232 BCE. which few people tripping on would recognize as more than a plain piece of rock.

That's great that you did that. I'm assuming this is one of the Pillars of Ashoka/Asoka? It's sad how the significance of those is so overlooked, but I guess I'm a bit off-topic.

Seems like people are generally more concerned with "cool-looking stuff" than historically significant stuff.

I recommend some place in Xi'an, maybe you can find them in the city map.

阿房宫,汉长安城(未央宫),大明宫(含元殿、麟德殿),兴庆宫

青龙寺(乐游原)

杜陵

董仲舒墓

半坡博物馆

I had been in the city for four years(2000-2004). Maybe you want to see my album:

http://photo.sina.com.cn/list/photo_s.php?uid=1211315674&ctg_id=13554

http://photo.sina.com.cn/list/photo_s.php?ctg_id=13606&uid=1211315674