Chinese-Forums

Tilapia

bhchao

Do you eat tilapia? If so, do you like it?

I heard from people who tasted it that it tastes like mud. I ate it once, and couldn't tell any difference.

Tilapia reproduces very fast and is found in aquaculture or fish farms. Many fish exporters have turned to tilapia since overfishing has led to a steady decline in fish stocks from the ocean.

what is Tilapia

"Tilapia is the common name for nearly a hundred species of cichlid fishes from the tilapiine cichlid tribe. Tilapias inhabit a variety of fresh and, less commonly, brackish water habitats from shallow streams and ponds through to rivers, lakes, and estuaries. " Read more ...

I heard from people who tasted it that it tastes like mud.

The different species sold under the name of Tilapia may account for variability in flavor and preference. Also, while most Tilapia species are from fresh water sources, the ones that aren't may be perceived to have a muddier flavor. Personally, I've never had bad tilapia.

I like it a lot especially when steamed (with fresh killed Tilapia). I compare it with young Yellow Fish in Taiwan, but Yellow Fish would be a little better tasting than Tilapia IMO. I generally have Tilapia in Cantonese Restaurants, and they make it well. It is also very good when deep fried. All the bones become very crispy and could be eaten as well. The meat is very tender when it was done right. I think it is much more flavorful and tender than Rock Cod most American Chinese restaurants like to serve.

I think Cat Fish is probably the one that is supposed to have mud flavor, but I couldn't taste it, either. Some people mentioned it to me. I also like Cat Fish, so ... Maybe Cat Fish and Tilapia have similar flavor? I do know Cat Fish has stronger flavor than Tilapia also. When I could not get to Yellow Fish (my favorite), I use Cat Fish and Tilapia for substitutes.

I like it a lot especially when steamed (with fresh killed Tilapia). I compare it with young Yellow Fish in Taiwan, but Yellow Fish would be a little better tasting than Tilapia IMO. I generally have Tilapia in Cantonese Restaurants, and they make it well. It is also very good when deep fried. All the bones become very crispy and could be eaten as well. The meat is very tender when it was done right. I think it is much more flavorful and tender than Rock Cod most American Chinese restaurants like to serve

I usually prefer my fish steamed and served with black beans on top, and flavored with ginger. Also love deep-fried whole flounder.

Also love deep-fried whole flounder.

Me too! You reminded me that I haven't eat deep fried flounder for a long, long time. Why are you keep on reminding me food that I haven't eat for a long time? I will probably not be eating it any time soon because I am not good in making fish... Do you happen to know any LA area Chinese restaurants that serve good deep-fried whole flounder? :wink:

Me too! You reminded me that I haven't eat deep fried flounder for a long, long time. Why are you keep on reminding me food that I haven't eat for a long time? I will probably not be eating it anytime soon because I am not good in making fish... Do you happen to know any LA area Chinese restaurants that serve good deep-fried whole flounder?

Really? I haven't eat deep fried flounder for a long time either :D My Cantonese grandmother (paternal) used to cook it a lot, and I especially miss her flounder.

Usually I have Jiangsu/Shanghainese kou3 wei4 (sorry for pinyin) and happened to forget about deep fried flounder altogether.

Maybe Sam Woo might serve good deep-fried whole flounder. But I haven't been to that restaurant in years, so I wish I can recommend another restaurant to you.

We have similar tastes :)

• 3 weeks later...

T___T a friend of mine told me that farm raised tilapia are raised in the same tanks as salmon, and instead of feeding them, the tilapia eat the waste of the salmon. I haven't been able to bring myself to it since then :cry:

Same are shrimp and many bottom feeding fish.

I couldn't bring myself to eat small shrimps from near oceans and harbors, but I feel better to eat large shrimps because I think they might be from a bit further away from the shores and pollutions.

For Tilapia, I like it too much to avoid it. Besides, many things in the water eat waste from other things. I also like pork, but have you seen the kinds of food for the traditionally raised pigs? Especially, I am watcing the HBO's series, Deadwood, right now!!!

My aunt would not eat fish now because she saw human parts in the fish during the Cultural Revolution when they threw dead bodies in the rivers and oceans. I guess if I saw that I would not eat fish also.

My pet peeve was sands in my shell fish. Once I chewed on any sands, I would completely lose my appetite for the whole meal. That is why I don't usually order shell fish, like clams and oysters, in the restaurants.