Chinese-Forums

BOTM- Who Finds it too Difficult

muyongshi

How do you feel about the level of the BOTM  

2 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the level of the BOTM

• I'm a native speaker taking part and so of course I find it easy...
    • A bit too easy
    • Right at my level
    • A bit difficult but that helps me learn
    • A bit too difficult but I could manange
    • Too difficult for me to finish the book without frustration
    • My dicitionary doesn't contain that many characters

Okay I know this is broad but in the interest of trying to help us all further in our common goal of learning Chinese, sometimes it's nice to see where everyone is at. So think in general (for those that have tried) how you felt about the BOTM levels and for those that have never read the books before check out a few chapters of a previous one and then respond.

I am not interested in the books chosen at all.

You're welcome to suggest something you like for February :mrgreen: Actually, I'd welcome suggestions by native speakers, rather than having to try and find something myself :mrgreen:

As for the original question, the level of Chinese is not a problem, the biggest thing is just finding the time to read.

Then perhaps you could consider "停車暫借問". The book was written by 鍾曉陽 (Zhong Xiaoyang) when she was eighteen (1980) and brought her to fame almost instantly (got her an award from Taiwan). Zhong was born in Guangzhou but grew up in HK. I am re-reading the book (currently reading the 2nd part). Mine is a 1987 HK version and strangely there are many typing errors in the book. :twisted: Frankly it is not my favourite book (of her stories the one I like best is 二段琴) but I think there is no harm reading it.

Here's an on-line version -

Part 1 "妾住長城外" -> http://www.white-collar.net/01-author/z/31-zhong_xy/01-tc/01.htm

Part 2 "停車暫借問" -> http://www.white-collar.net/01-author/z/31-zhong_xy/01-tc/02.htm

Part 3 "卻遺枕函淚" -> http://www.white-collar.net/01-author/z/31-zhong_xy/01-tc/03.htm

“Actually, I'd welcome suggestions by native speakers, rather than having to try and find something myself ”

-- Might be a good idea! I guess I should do this sometimes. But a question: Is this aim for language skill or literature appreciation? And BTW, I know more about classical works(I don't mean ancient works, but relatively older ones) than morden works.

An idea:

Have your guys heard about the film Lust Causion directed by An Lee? I guess most of you know it. Then how about reading the short story which the film based on? You can easily find it by googling 色 戒.

But a question: Is this aim for language skill or literature appreciation?
A little bit of both I guess. However I think the main aim is just to encourage people to read, and when a group of others are reading the same story, it helps give you motivation to continue reading. From this perspective, it's important to choose stories that can hold the reader's interest.

I'm not sure if it's just the way the books are written, or if it's the language used, but I tend to find more recent books (i.e. 当代 vs 现代)more interesting, and therefore more able to hold my attention and make me want to finish them. The same is also true of English novels.

• 1 year later...

Bumpity bump . . .

What about a 'Reading of the Week' type thing. Four a month, perhaps with some kind of schedule - ie (and this is entirely off the top of my head)

Week 1: lead article from some newspaper or magazine

Week 2: a short story - sure we can find a list of China's best short stories to use

Week 3: first chapter of a book - perhaps alternating between an acknowledged 'good / famous' book and something off the best-seller lists

Week 4: Prominent blog or forum post - perhaps something that's already been covered in the media, or translated by ESWN

That'd provide variety, and more jumping in / out points than the monthly book, plus be more accessible - well, shorter, at least. Any enthusiasm being raised out there?

I like Roddy's latest idea - something shorter but still interesting would be good. I've tried to read the BOTM three times now but never really sustained the interest in it, although the level is a bit of a stretch, reading native books is just about right for me now. The problem is I'm not much of a fan of "great literature" in any language, and I'd rather be reading John Grisham type, modern stories which capture my interest in a whodunit way.

The Chinese books I've made the most progress with are 哈利波特 and 细胞生物学 (a few chapters each) and occasional 财经 articles. Mostly I read BBC Chinese articles which I think is a downright shame, so if anyone knows of the online Chinese equivalent of the Economist, please let me know!

Having said all that - I'll keep trying to participate in the BOTM even if it doesn't change.

It's great that you're trying to stimulate people to get involved, roddy.

Personally, I believe that the two most important factors for more BotM participation are that the book is short (like the last one, or even shorter) and that the language is accessible.

I believe that the number of active posters who can tear through hundreds of pages of complicated Chinese at top speed is not all that large, but that there are many many active people with decent Chinese knowledge who can read easier stuff, especially if it's not too long. The last BotM (王小波) was a great example.

Personally, I'm not that interested in blogs or articles, but I'd definitely take part in any short stories.

The Chinese books I've made the most progress with are 哈利波特 and 细胞生物学 (a few chapters each) and occasional 财经 articles. Mostly I read BBC Chinese articles which I think is a downright shame, so if anyone knows of the online Chinese equivalent of the Economist, please let me know!

Generally 财经 is considered to be the Chinese equivalent of the Economist. If that's the kind of content you like then the FT's Chinese content may also be worth a look.

Personally, I believe that the two most important factors for more BotM participation are that the book is short (like the last one, or even shorter) and that the language is accessible.

Any shorter than the last one and you're into long short story territory. 黄金时代 is really just a novella. But shorter is definitely better or at least less threatening. I think another factor is that you can't keep everyone happy with genre choices. Some people will think they should read classics before modern thrillers, some will get turned off by the idea of the classics and want a bit of action, some might love a romance but find the idea of science fiction repulsive. Etc. More frequent but shorter pieces mean there's more chance of people finding something they like, and perhaps taking a chance on something they wouldn't normally read at a longer length - 'well, there's no way I'm reading a whole detective novel. But if it's a short story I can finish in a few hours . . . '

I am not interested in the books chosen at all.

Different tastes, I guess.

Same reason for me here, the difficulty level is not the reason for me being uninterested in BOTM. If the BOTM centered around short story prize winners like Zhou Daxin then I would want to do it.

Generally 财经 is considered to be the Chinese equivalent of the Economist.

财经 has a lot more investigative reporting than the Economist. When I used to subscribe to the Economist, I found that too many of its articles read like editorials. I've been a faithful reader of 财经 for three years and find it to be probably the best magazine available in Chinese.