Chinese-Forums

宾,补,中 and 状

Orpheus

I just started Book 5 of the New Practical Chinese Reader and found the words 宾,补,中 and 状 in the 短语组合 section, listed in front of some example phrases like the following:

准备 [~宾] ~钱 ~考试

[状~] 好好~ 正在~

[~补] ~完 ~好

[~中] ~的时间 ~的情况

I can't figure out what they mean exactly. My guess is that they might refer to the parts of speech, but I‘m not sure at all. Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Thank you and a very Happy New Year to you all!

They are all parts of the grammar explanations....as I suck at the words I can only help you with a meaning of the few (in english that is- i know what they refer to in the deep recesses of my brain)

准备 [~宾] ~钱 ~考试

This is called a 宾语 and so you can see that 准备 can take a 宾语. A 宾语 being 钱 or 考试 so you can 准备考试. Or another word is 帮 (it can take a binyu) so i can say 帮你 帮我 other words can't take the 宾语 (examples are not popping into my dead head)

壮 also refers to a part of speech (don't know what it's called though) and so the examples are types of 状语 (and for refrence they are frequently placed in front of verbs) 好好干 正在做

补 is used to "help" the verb and so you can see that it uses 完 so are 你做完...

And my brain just died so I will leave it to someone with a better power of explanation to alleve your confusion.

: object ("predicate") - 准备 [~宾] ~钱 ~考试 - 准备 + (=钱 or 考试)

: adverb ("adverbial adjunct") - [状~] 好好~ 正在~ - 好好 or 正在 =

: "complement" like adverbial particles - [~补] ~完 ~好 - 完 or 好 are examples of "complements" =

: a clause with 的 - [~中] ~的时间 ~的情况 - 的时间 or 的情况 are examples of

Thank you Muyongshi and Rhubarb for your explanations and for pointing me to the right direction. I've just looked them up in the dictionary and found that 宾,补 and 状 refer to 宾语 (object), 宾语 (adverbial adjunct) and 补语 (complement) respectively. Still no luck with 中 though. Rhubarb, are you sure that 中 refers to time clause as I also found the following examples in the book:

冷清 [~中] ~的家 ~的房间 ~的商场

As for 宾, I found that it can refer to either 宾语 (object) or 宾词 (predicate), but from the examples found in the book, it looks like that it mostly refers to object. Would it be safe to assume that 宾 when used alone always refers to object?

Thanks cdn for your example, but I'm afraid I still don't get it. Could you elaborate please?

Rhubarb, I noticed that you edited your post to include 中 as relative clause. Does 中 here mean something like 中心埋置关系从句?

Just as others who may be following this thread not to get confused, the terms discussed here are actually not parts of speech, but rather grammatical functions so my initial guess was wrong.