Chinese-Forums

Begining to learn Chinese :)

Laccindos

Hi, my name is Felipe, im from Brazil (this is my first post!).

Im starting to learn chinese with 2hour/week private class, and studying by myself a lot at home.

Basically im trying to "learn" a lot of characters, i think i know like 400 characters by now, using wenlin "flashcards" to memorize and drill.

I would like to know from you, what to do after learn "a lot" of characters (1500-2000?)?

Im learning chinese to continue my QiGong studies, and is basically to read books, so im not interested on talking, just read and understand chinese...

I alread took +- the Chinese Morning Courses, but i didn't like them very much... the first ones are just to memorize characters, and the "good one" is like "Learn Chinese in 500 words".

Anyone knows if the ChineseOn courses are good for me to improve?

:) thx for the help

There is a set of good grammar books by Yip Po-Ching and Don Rimmington published by Routledge. You could start with 'Basic Chinese: A Grammar and Workbook'. It has lots of examples (in characters, pinyin and english) and exercises, and pretty good (English) explanations of the grammar points.

Jo