Chinese-Forums

Find Job First or Just go

zmanc1987

First I would like to say hello to everyone. I have been browsing around the forum for a few days now and felt it just about time to post. There is so much useful information here but I have a specific situation I would like some advice on.

I'm a 20 year old college student who is somewhat proficient in Chinese, I know enough to get me in and out of trouble, and eat, hehe. I'm looking to teach in China after this semester and am not quite sure the best way to go about it.

First I have about 20+ friends on my QQ (Chinese msn basically) helping me look for jobs in their cities. While I have quite a bit of faith in these people but I cannot rely completely on others for helping me find a position to apply for. I know there are ad's online but most of those require a degree, which I don't have.

Is this the best route? I am also saving money and am thinking about just going to China this June regardless if I have a job or not, having enough money for a few months should be enough time to find a decent job right??

What do you guys suggest?

Thank you for any help.

Zack.

P.S. if anyone wants to help my Chinese or chat I could use more qq friends pm me for my qq number.

If you've not done this already, I would check out Dave's ESL Cafe- China forum and China job board. Without a degree, I would look at smaller cities (sans Shanghai, Beijing etc). Beijing is cracking down on the degree and experience requirement.

With what you've got, you might have to go through a recruiter. I personal don't recommend this but they are probably the only ones that will be able to hire you from abroad.

If you've got the money, I would just come over and start job hunting. Chinese ability will help you secure a job if you go this route.

Also check out That's Beijing, they have job ads for people in-country. You can get an idea of what the possibilities are.

Good luck

I don't really care about too much, I know everything is cheaper there if you know where to go. I don't think I will stay in bejing or shanghai, smaller cities are okay with me. I'm not one for something really small but something around 750,000 would be just fine.

24,000 should be more than enough, especially if you go to a smaller city. It should probably be enough for a couple of months (I figured 52,000 for a year, but without having to pay for accommodation).

I also find it interesting that a 'small' city is around 750,000 - that's about twice the size of the second-largest city in New Zealand (which is also the capital city); the largest has around 1, maybe 1.2 million.

I just wanted to mention that in Nanjing I have heard reports of authorities calling up and wanting to know qualifications of questionable teachers , which was unheard before.

Espicially those with out college degrees.

Some private schools that depend a lot of Students teaching part time are having a hard time. Though this is the christmas season and many people go home or on holiday around this time.

I wonder if this i happening in the south or west?

In Beijing they are starting to inforce this rule. It's not the school nor the Chinese Embassies, its the PSB in China that could turn down your application if you don't have a degree.

They're also looking at the 2 yr teaching experience requirement. But this is China.

Most all government schools now demand a degree (Bachelors minimum), two years teaching experience and a health certificate done with the examination here in China. (ie; the State Hospitals)

If you plan on coming first, also plan on having to leave the country again to get your "Z" visa. They will not process these in country anymore.

You can get the "Z" visa processed in Hong Kong. First, you will need a letter of intent to hire from the employer. You need copies of your Bachelors degree, and a reference letter from past teaching experience.This all gets stamped by the PSB after they check things out. This paperwork is then sent to you to show the Chinese consulate to assist in processing your work ("Z") visa.

If you plan to come first, you will likely come on a Tourist visa. (F) This will only be valid for 30 days. (unless you have relatives here) This will leave you just 20 days or so to find the job. If you find the job you like and they like you, the paperwork that gets processed by the PSB normally takes 7-10 days. You don't want to be stuck waiting in Hong Kong for your paperwork to come in. As Hong Kong can get very expensive.

24,000 RMB. for saving? I hope that you consider that airfare, visa fee's, medical certificate, and Hotels will eat up a large chunk of this. I don't entirely agree with the other posts that say this will be enough. It could be, but you will need to be extremely frugal.

In addition, it would be wise to have all your immunization shots done before you come. Some of these shots take up to six months to administer. ie; Hepititus A shots. Have a plan in mind. Contact potential employers first. Get names and numbers. Also try to contact other teachers that either work there or have worked there. Don't get suckered by "pie in the sky" offers from people. Quite a few have come over for a supposedly wonderful job opportunity, only to find out that they were decieved, the conditions were horrid and then they must struggle to get out of their jam. Research, research, research. (But, right now it sounds like you need to concentrate on getting a degree for yourself.)

zmanc1987, get yourself a TEFL certificate or similar. This is a basic teaching qualification and only takes a few wees to do. This give you a minimum level qualification for a job here. The only people who will employ you without either this cert or a degree are disreputable and you don't want to work for such a firm. The Foreign Experts Beuro and the PSB (police) have become allot stricter over the last year. Even where I am, in a smaller city, the regulation is tighter.

simonlaing mentioned telephone checkups in Nanjing. I can tell you first hand that they have been doing this in Liaoning. In my city, Anshan, they even have been visiting the school in person. They did telephone the day before to tell us they were coming and to ask me to bring my passport and other documents into school with me that day so they could check them. In addition to the health exam, they now are requiring us to have health insurance and to produce the insurance certificate.

Some of these shots take up to six months to administer. ie; Hepatitis A shots.

Ditto that it's a good idea to get your shots updated. At least Hepatitis A, Typhoid, Diphtheria, Tetanus and Polio. You can get all of these in just 2 shots given at the same time (one in each arm.) It is Hepatitis B that requires a longer series of shots. However, you will have some level of protection form the very first of the series and you can complete the course in China. That's what I did. Though Hep B is your choice. You don't have to get it, depending on whither you live a lifestyle that might put you at risk. (It's spread by unprotected sex, blood transfusion and dirty needles by drug users.) If you are here for one year, you may go without. If you are here for many years, it's probably worth getting Hep B just in case. There are other injections you might get, such a Rabies and Yellow fever but you may not need them or want them depending on various factors.