Chinese-Forums

Eunuch

Ian_Lee

I remember that the last eunuch passed away in China about only 10 years ago in Beijing.

Many CCTV Qing Dynasty dramas have focused on the lives of the eunuchs. The most well-known fact revealed was that the genital parts of these eunuchs were saved after castration. They were kept in a chemical solution so that they wouldn’t decay. And after the eunuchs passed away, these genitals were sewn back to their bodies so that they could die in whole.

But most of the CCTV dramas didn’t deliberate on other interesting trivial of the eunuch.

In Director Li Xiangchang’s movie, the life of eunuch was covered a lot.

One part was about the role of eunuch in the emperor’s sex life.

First, in every afternoon the eunuch would present a tray with many bamboo sticks with the names of the empress, consorts,………etc on them.

The emperor would pick out the one he would like to sleep with that night.

And in the evening, the girl chosen would take a bath, get naked and wrap herself with a thick mattress with the help of the eunuch.

When the time comes, two eunuchs would hold both ends of the rolled mattress and enter the Emperor’s residence.

Then they would unroll the mattress and the naked girl would be out on the floor. The eunuchs would then leave the room, close the door, and the naked girl would crawl to the emperor’s bed.

But that is not the end of the story.

The eunuchs would wait silently outside the emperor’s bedroom. When the orgasm came (I guess judged by the volume of sound inside the room), the eunuchs would shout loudly to the emperor: “My Lord, please take care of your dragon body!”

The advice means that the emperor should not unleash his sperms. (Per Taoist doctor, one drop of sperm is equal to many drops of blood.)

Didn't Cleopatra try the carpet trick on Mark Antony? (not sure she was naked)

Is there a reliable historical source documenting this in the Chinese court?

In the late Qing Dynasty a man turned up bleeding dreadfully and seeking help at a police station in the International Settlement in Shanghai, having tried unsuccessfully to castrate himself - he thought this would get him a job as a eunuch and send him on the road to riches.

All these stories were recorded in unorthodox documents that were widely circulated subsequent to the demise of Qing Dynasty (Qing Dynasty did not formally end until the mini-court in the Forbidden City was abolished in 1923).

Some events like Emperor Tong Zhi (Emree Dowager Cixi's son) was widely believed to die owing to VD after he frequented the Red Light District in Beijing.

dunno donkey years back everyday life of the emperor is logged and archived. there is something called '起居录' for every emperor, including very single sentence he said. of course the emperor can choose whether his words will be logged or not. if he dont like it, he'll just turn to the clerk(probably also an eunuch) and say, dont write it down. as for everyday life, the emperor is probably not interested in the records, since he's the emperor he can do whatever he wants. anyway the record are sometimes changed later on.

the records of all qing emperors can be bought in bookstores now.

Maybe he was a court official and then became castrated

then u think commoners, story tellers or historians will miss that part out? :nono

his position is almost like the prime minister during his time, his fortune, exposed after his conviction, equals to 5yrs gnp of the whole nation, if i remembered correctly and his son is married to the princess.

there is only one such example u mentioned. too bad he's not a corrupted official so it doesnt fit ur profile. :conf

• 2 weeks later...

Reminds me of a funny conversation I once had with an ambitious young Chinese female colleague in Hong Kong. She was telling me about what kind of man she hoped to find and wanted to use the word "unique" but mispronounced it, saying "I want a eunuch boyfriend"

When I opened the dictionary and showed her what she actually said the redness on her blushing face matched this raspberry icon: :tong